Palomas and the Pink Store Porsche Dude


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
March 6th 2018
Published: March 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We got our things together on Sunday morning and made the 4 mile drive to the border crossing at the Mexican Town of Palomas. We had heard great things about a craft store/restaurant there, called "The Pink Store". We didn't drive over, as unlike Canada, there are "complications" there with insurance on American registered vehicles, but there is a large, free parking lot on the US side that we used. I won't try to deny it, the 4 or 5 Federales patrolling their side of the line in full battle dress, complete with their FN assault rifles were a bit intimidating. Of course, I'm from the States, where usually only "active shooters" are armed and equipped like that.

No worries though, we walked down a little cattle chute and through a pivot gate, and we were delivered into the third world. It's was only my second time in Mexico, but immediately it looked just like your typical cliched idea of a border town. Dusty streets, litter, bright colors, a few panhandlers, and lots of old pickups driving around, just as you'd expect. There were some familiar US retail chains too, even a NAPA Auto parts -- but no Aubry Pledger behind the counter I bet. There were those particular Mexican businesses as well, designed to serve an American public looking to avoid the rapacious pricing of our medical industry. Lots of pharmacies, dentists, and opticians were boldly advertised. Of all the signs we saw though, my favorite was the one on "Pancho's Nightclub" that said "Cerveza Fria" I've never taken Spanish, but I can instantly understand that one. We didn't go in though, with my luck, that might simply mean that it is a nightclub where beer is completely absent.

After strolling around for a bit, we headed into the "Pink Store" that we had heard so much about, and I have to say -- it did not disappoint. A huge stock of really high quality local craft items, at very reasonable prices. The staff we super nice and friendly too, and, lo and behold, they plied us with "margaritas fria" while we shopped. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call marketing!

After making a few purchases, we went into the dinning room to have some lunch. We ordered a couple of "Carta Blancas" while we looked over the menu. After deciding to try the fajitas, we tucked into the chips with pico de galo and salsa with full force. Just about then, a big, well dressed guy came over to our table and asked "Excuse me, but, do you have a 356?" This question set me aback, but then I realized I was wearing the Porsche 356 hoodie that Scott had got me for Xmas a few years ago. So then I said "Yes, I've owned the same 1965 356 SC coupe for over 40 years." Well, the guy sat right down with us and introduced himself, he was Sergio Romero, former 356 owner, and proprietor of "The Pink Store". He was a very gracious and charming fellow, and we must have talked of old Porsches, and of life in general for 20 minutes or so. He told us that as a very young man, he had bought an old Porsche roadster for $1000. And he had owned it for over 20 years. Then, when he was in a bit of a money bind, someone had offered him $30k for it, and he let it go. Turns out, his car was actually an all aluminum "America Roadster" -- the predecessor to the Speedster. Those now sell for over a half a million dollars, so he is still a bit sick about it -- understandable!

After that serious feed, we waddled back over the line with our goodies, through US customs, and drove back to our campsite. It really had been another fine day, and now it was time to plan our next move, further west, over to Bisbee Arizona.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb