Ruta Maya


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Uxmal
October 27th 2013
Published: January 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Uxmal, is another stunning Maya place along my "Ruta Maya".

Less appealing than Palanque and certain monuments were closed due to renovation but it was worth the one hour travel bus from Merida to here.

Only drawback when visiting these beautiful sites is that it is always bloody hot and ,at times, really unbereable.

Said that,better a very hot and sunny day than a wet and foggy one.

I really love a few buildings of this marvellous site like: The Palace of the Governor which is a long low building.

The Adivino "Pyramid of the Magician" which is, unlike the other structures, oval rather than square, in shape, for instance.

The Nunnery Quadrangle which is believed to be the government house of the archaeological site.

It is fine with beautiful decorations and carvings, just flawless, and were built probably around 600 AD and some other structures around 1000 AD.

There is also the unmissable Ballcourt for playing the ballgame called "juego de pelota" and also death game since that who lost the game was executed.

Walking around there are as well the stelae telling the history of the local area and site but most of the are half knocked down.

I was also lucky that day since that not many people crowded the place, strangely.

I just fell in love with these Maya sites which are ,all, well away from main cities and so well hidden in the vegetation that gives you that kind of mysterious ambiance and a lot of pleasure admiring them in their greatness and absorbing a bit of ancient history.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement






4th February 2017
The awesome Pyramid of the Magician

Ruta Maya
Truly awesome Marcos. Wow...I gotta get there...awesome!
6th February 2017
The awesome Pyramid of the Magician

Ruta Maya
Sure you have to go there.Mayan route is tremendously fascinating..

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb