The MAYAN PYRAMID at UXMAL ("Oosh mal")


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Uxmal
January 6th 2010
Published: January 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Jumpin' jungle !!!Jumpin' jungle !!!Jumpin' jungle !!!

Shades of Indiana Jones.
Imagine hiking deep into the jungle and coming upon an ancient block wall, entwined with vines and obscured by trees. You scramble over a hillock to find more masonry ensnared by the jungle. The canopy of greenery keeps you from seeing the sky until suddenly you come upon a nearly vertical array of stonework stretching above the treetops, in steps. You begin to clamber up the steps, ascending above the trees, until you can look out over the rainforest, toward the sea. Where did this all come from? How did it get lost? This is the story told by John L Stephens, in 1841, and illustrated then by F. Catherwood. It can be read and seen in a two-volume set republished by Dover. And the actual illustrations are on display in Merida.

I've been to Athens and visited the Parthenon on the Acropolis. It's exquisite. Yet the gifts of logic championed during the Golden Age of Greek civilization were suppressed by dogma. And the Mayans knew more about Astronomy than anyone in Europe while western civilization was still deep in superstition enforced by religious fundamentalism which would not allow truth to dispel the notion of an Earth centered universe. But at the same time, the Mayan religious hierarchy tried desperately to make it rain, through blood sacrifice. They were "divine" — and should have been able to do this, or so said "logic."

Mankind is so bright, while yet so dark. "What is man, that Thou art mindful of him?" asks the Psalmist. Anthropology would have us reason that man is what he does. But deductive reasoning argues from Cause to effect. We must begin aright in order to understand ourselves and our context rightly. Einstein recognized that we must begin with light, as central to reality. "God is light, and in him is no darkness at all." (1John1:5) Or, we could simply continue to wander around in the jungle, wondering what it's all about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The jungle parts. . .The jungle parts. . .
The jungle parts. . .

. . . welcome to night on bald mountain.
Back door entranceBack door entrance
Back door entrance

This is the current entrance to the campus. It seems like a wrong way to come upon this grand site. Who knows which way the jungle path passed through?
Around the corner from rear entranceAround the corner from rear entrance
Around the corner from rear entrance

. . . we find the banquet hall of Mason's Local 96?
Grandma . . . Grandma . . .
Grandma . . .

. . . what crooked teeth you have!
OSHA wonders . . . OSHA wonders . . .
OSHA wonders . . .

. . . where's the handrail?
Two headed jaguarTwo headed jaguar
Two headed jaguar

Mary wins the stare-down contest. (I saw the carving blink!)
Flogging stoneFlogging stone
Flogging stone

Between the jaguar and the bleachers is where you get your lickin' (it's the big, leaning stone next to the girl with the backpack).
Guest cottageGuest cottage
Guest cottage

Is this where you spend your last night, before becoming a human sacrifice to the rain god?
The stone privyThe stone privy
The stone privy

No door? No toilet paper? How many stars did this place rate?
Donde esta el bano?Donde esta el bano?
Donde esta el bano?

I can't imagine what a second story above the privy is for!
Pickup hoops, anyone?Pickup hoops, anyone?
Pickup hoops, anyone?

The winning coach gets honored as a human sacrifice.
Basket soccer?Basket soccer?
Basket soccer?

No hands allowed. BE SURE TO CLICK THE VIDEO re-enactment of this game, in the written text of my intro, above.
Street foodStreet food
Street food

from previous post
Street entertainmentStreet entertainment
Street entertainment

Sundays in the main plaza of Merida, with music


6th January 2010

Missing info
I should have added the title of the Stephens books: INCIDENTS OF TRAVEL IN THE YUCATAN. Also, the missing link of ball court action will be found in the next post. ~eric.
9th January 2010

Indiana Jones indeed
I'm guessing the only thing that kept others from thinking they had glimpsed Indy was your ever present straw hat.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb