The Ruins of Uxmal


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Uxmal
August 9th 2007
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Uxmal's Casa del Adivino (The Magician's House)Uxmal's Casa del Adivino (The Magician's House)Uxmal's Casa del Adivino (The Magician's House)

This 39m-high temple was built on an oval base, very unique in terms of ruins.
During one of our days in Merida, we took a tour to the ruins of Uxmal (pronounced oosh mahl) which is located approx. one hour and a half from the capital of the Yucatan. We were picked up at approx. 1:00 p.m., which was a much better start because it can be so intolerably hot at times. We had a tour guide for the majority of the time. Typically we choose to tour with the Spanish speaking guides because it really helps me with my listening skills.

After the tour we had some time to explore on our own as well. As with most ruins, there has been a great deal excavated, but there is still so much yet to be discovered and Uxmal was no different. We could clearly see ruins hidden under mounds of dirt, trees and grass waiting to be discovered. Uxmal as first excavated in 1929 by Fr'ans Blom (1893 - 1963, the Danish archaeologist, who later settled in San Cristobal. We had the pleasure of visiting his home, Na Bolom, in San Cristobal.

A light and sound show was scheduled for the evening, but due to a rain storm that lasted approx. one hour,
Uxmal's  ViewUxmal's  ViewUxmal's View

Adding to its appeal, Uxmal is set in the hilly Puuc region, which lent its name to the architectural patterns to this area. Puuc means "hills" and these rising to about 100m, are the only ones northwest region of the otherwise flat peninsula.
the site lost it's power and thus the show was cancelled. We were a bit disappointed, but we definitely enjoyed our day at Uxmal.

Once again, the history lesson was overwhelming. Each visit to a ruin is truly a history lesson here in Mexico...MEXICO BONITO!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

UxmalUxmal
Uxmal

This is a photo of the opposite side of Casa del Adivino.
Uxmal's Casa de las Tortugas (House of Turtles)Uxmal's Casa de las Tortugas (House of Turtles)
Uxmal's Casa de las Tortugas (House of Turtles)

The Maya associated turtles with the rain god, Chac-Mool. According to the Maya myth, when the people suffered from drought so did the turtles and in turn they both prayed to Chac-Mool to send rain.
UxmalUxmal
Uxmal

Okay, Mexico has a lot of Iguanas, but the Yucatan is full of them. In iguana territory you literally have to watch where you walk.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb