Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Progreso
February 15th 2015
Published: February 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Always a bright, sunny day here in Progreso. Saw volleyball on the beach this morning. Boat on shore selling fish. Lots of people around, and many pelicans and sea gulls swarming. The big fish were still intact, but had been sliced into steaks. The water seemed clearer today. Lots of swimmers out. More people around today. Probably some Mexican tourists in from Merida for the weekend. Our hotel was empty before, but now has no vacancy, although it is a small one.

Took a walk west along the Malecon again. Heard the doves cooing. A dusty road continues past the end of the walkway, which we followed for a while. Many dogs roaming around. A guy with a cooler on the back of his cycle wanted to sell us fresh fish! People were friendly. A motorcycle with a man and four small kids on it (yes, all together at the same time) drove by. The kids kept saying HI and Bye, probably wanted to practice their English.

Many sand spits going out into the water. On our return we left the walkway and followed the beach. Picked up seashells again. In spots you would sink way down in the sand when too close to the water. The wind started to pick up, and people were out flying kites. This is the perfect location for this activity because of the strong sea breeze.

Had tortes (crusty sandwiches) for lunch at the market. Good combination of meat, cheese, onions, cabbage and tomatoes, plus sauce. Lots of mechanical toys and singing birds for sale along the streets. A little boy sitting at our table at lunch was watching his bird and he was fascinated. We then walked down to Parque Independencia. Not the usual beautiful central plaza found in some cities, just a few trees and benches, no flowers.

Later in the afternoon the Mardi Gras parade went by our hotel. (Actually it is called the Carnaval, lasting from February 11 to 18). Musicians, dancers, colorful costumes, many floats with riders throwing candy. Lots of noise and activity, dancing in the street. A band played later. The street was totally packed with people, hard to move!

Found a great spot for dinner, Las Palmas. Not sure how we missed this place before, but it's about a block back toward town behind Playa Linda Hotel. Friendly staff, very good food, and reasonable prices (fish and garlic shrimp).

Cold here tonight, we wore sweatshirts and we were still cold! Tomorrow we head back to Merida. Temperature is supposed to be close to 100!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1171s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb