On the road to Merida


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
February 7th 2017
Published: February 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Headed south on Mex 261 to Merida. Came across Yaxcopoil Parador Hacienda . This is dated back to the 17th century signifying in Mayan language "the place of the green Almo trees" With 22,000 acres of land in the time of its greatest splender Yaxcopoil was considered was considered one of the most important estates in the Yucatan due to its cattle ranch and plantation. After an hour tour we set off changing to Mex 180 . But again 40 kms to Merida another Military check. Took for ever but got off free. Tonight in a rather rough RV Park Rainbow. Today we did a tour of the historic downtown. There were three Spanish conquisadors named Franciscio de Montejo el Adelantado ( The lieutenant) Fransccio de Montejo y Leon el Mozo (His son) and Francisco de Montejo el Sobrino (The Nephew). Merida was founded in 1542 by Montejo y Leon and named after the town of Merida Extremadura Spain. It was built on the site of A Maya city THO which was also called Ichkanzihoo ( city of five hills) There had been a center of Mayan culture and activity for centuries, because of this some historians consider Merida the oldest continually occupied city.

Carved Maya stones from ancient THO were widely used to build spanish colonial buildings that are plentiful in downtown Merida, and are visible., for instance, in the walls of the main Cathedral. Much of Meridas architecture from the colonial period throught th 18th century and 19th century is still standing in the centro historico of the city. From Colonial times through the mid 19th century is still standingin the centro historico section of the city intended to protect the pennisular and criollo residents from periodic revolts by the indegenous Maya. Several of the old spanish gates survive, But modern Merida has expanded well beyond the old city walls.

Merida is located in the northwest part of the state of the Yucatan pennisula. To the east quinta roo to the west the state of camenche and to the far south the state of Chiapas. The state is also located in the Chicxlib crater. It has a very flat topography and is only 30 feet above sea level.

Tomorrow morning heading to Chichen Itza


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement






















Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb