Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
February 16th 2015
Published: February 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Spent the morning in Progreso. Walked east on the Malecon, then down on the beach. The restaurants and hotels are on one side of the road, the palapas with tables and chairs for the restaurants on the beach side. The waiters go back and forth across the street with the food. The street was very empty this morning, especially compared to yesterday! More dog paw prints on the beach than people footprints. Today noticed people with large orange bags picking up garbage along the beach. First time we have seen this here. At the end of the beach walk the pedometer registered 2 miles.

Then we were off to Merida. We already had our return tickets, and the bus was right there when we got to the depot. It was an express bus with no stops, A/C'd, almost full, and very comfortable. We had our reservations at the same place as before, Hostel Casa Nico. We even got the same room, very nice. The house cats were sleeping on the sofa in the lounge when we arrived. We used their book exchange to get some more reading material.

Walked downtown to get bus tickets for tomorrow to see the ruins in Uxmal. 220p (about $15) for the round trip. Found a good spot for lunch at El Roble Hospitaje Familiar. Two great crusty sandwiches (ham and cheese, grilled beef) plus drinks for less than $4! Many guys washing their cars along the street. Cars are a big investment for people here. Very hot walk! We headed to Parque San Juan to find a bench in the shade. There was a central fountain and statue, wrought iron fences and benches, and many big laurel trees and palms. A small cathedral faced the park.

We went back to check out the two museums we missed on our first visit. The museum at Casa Manejo (where we were told to wait ten minutes, then ten minutes) was closed on Mondays! We were told the other museum was closed for at least two weeks for renovation! Bad timing.

Spent some time reading at the hostel lounge. The cats were still sleeping, very lazy. The Big Bang Theory was on TV, in English. Later we went to Chaya Maya again for Yacatecan food. Great place. We walked up north a bit, found Barrio de Santa Ana--a very picturesque little church, beautiful at night with the lights. Parque Hidalgo was also a charming spot. Sidewalk cafes, lighted trees, lots of wrought iron benches, ornate buildings lit up around the edges. Many horse drawn carriages. Plaza Grande is gorgeous at night with the surrounding towers lit up.

Our pedometer read 7 miles at the end of the day. Tomorrow will be a busy day at the Uxmal ruins.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb