One of the New Seven Wonders of the World


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
August 10th 2007
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chichen ItzaChichen ItzaChichen Itza

This is a photo of El Castillo from the great ball court.
Our last morning was spent at the popular and very likeable Nomadas Hostel where we enjoyed our continental breakfast. From there, we chose a one way trip to Cancun, but first stopping at the ever so popular and intriguing ruins of Chichen Itza. Chichen Itza is the most famous and best restored of the Yucatan Peninsula's Maya sites. It is even more popular now today because it was just recently selected as ONE OF THE NEW SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD.

www.new7wonders.com

Chichen Itza may be overrun by large groups of tourists, but it is still quite an impressive site and history lesson we should all be so lucky to experience. We had a guide, Spanish speaking, for the entire time while visiting Chichen Itza, which is the best way to see the ruins because there is so much history and so many myths that needs to be explained.

I will include a smal history lesson for those of you that want to read on:

The first site is El Castillo, also called the Pyramid of Kukulcan. This pyramid is actually the Maya calender formed in stone. Each of El Castillo's nine levels is divided in two by a staircase, making 18 separate terraces that commemorate the 18 20 -day months of the Vague Year. The four stairways have 91 steps each; add the top platform and the total is 365, the number of days in the year. On each facade of the pyramid are 52 flat panels, which are reminders of the 52 years in the Calendar Round.

To add to that, during the spring and autumn equinoxes, light and shadow form a series of triangles on the side of the north staircase that mimic the creep of a serpent. The serpent ascends in March and descends in September.

The great ball court is the largest and most impressive in Mexico. There are eight courts in total, indicating the importance of the games held in Chichen Itza. Here, the court's acoustics are amazing. A conversation at one end can be heard 135m away at the other side and a clap produces multiple loud echoes.

After spending the day at Chichen Itza it was time to continue our travels to the beach. We switched buses and headed for the coast.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

El CastilloEl Castillo
El Castillo

During the spring and autumn equinoxes this is the most famous and popular view where the light and shadow form a series of triangles on this side that in turn form a serpent. The carved serpent's head is at the bottom of the staircase.
Chichen Itza at the Time in MarchChichen Itza at the Time in March
Chichen Itza at the Time in March

This is a photo of a post card, but here you can see the serpent.
Edificio de las Monjas y La IglesiaEdificio de las Monjas y La Iglesia
Edificio de las Monjas y La Iglesia

The nunnery was thought to have been a palace for Maya royalty, which imposing dimensions: 60m long, 30m wide and 20m high.
Chichen Itza Over Run By TouristsChichen Itza Over Run By Tourists
Chichen Itza Over Run By Tourists

This is a walk way from one section to the other and as you can see is over run by tourists.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb