Can you escape a classic?


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
March 1st 2023
Published: March 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Yucatan trip


We all have different points of interests and tastes in travels. Some prefer to see different cultures and meet people, others are foodies, others like architecture and others are more nature oriented. I am of the latter type. But with some attractions, interests might converge. Even If I prefer nature, I don't want to miss big impressive monuments. I wouldn't do a detour for door handles or balconies, but for very large structures, yes. :-)

I have been to Mexico a couple of times, and have then visited a couple of archaeological sites: Teotihuacan , (huge and impressive), Palenque and Calakmul ,(mayan sites in middle of the tropical forest that make you feel like an explorator, especially Calakmul), Tulum, (not big but really beautiful because of the proximity of the turquoise Caribbean sea.

Then there's Chichen Itza, the classic of Mexican classics. You can see replicas of the main El Castillo pyramid, in every souvenir boutique of the country.

Is it busy? Yes, there are hordes of tourist every day arriving by bus loads. You need to arrive as soon as possible to avoid larger crowds.

Is it expensive? Far more expensive than any other mexican site I have visited, (3X at least).

Site is also filled with tons of souvenirs vendors, which could be a bit annoying at times.

Does it worth it? Well....yes. The main pyramid is truly amazing, being different in shape than other pyramids in the country and quite big. It's also a giant stone calendar, (number of stairs on 4 sides = 365 + number of months in mayan calendar is also represented by stone structures ). The ball game complex is also much larger than any other one of mayan sites.

In a way, if you pay attention to details and take time to gather information BEFORE Arriving, any place could be interesting, even the most popular ones.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement











25th April 2023
main pyramid

Chichén Itzá
I absolutely loved Chichén Itzá when I was there. That pyramid is a wonder of perfection! /Ake

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb