Terri and Kate go to Mexico Day - 5


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Puerto Morelos
September 30th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 - We move to the Riviera Maya



We're sad this morning as we have to check out of the Aqua Cancun and move onto the next hotel we're staying at. All our luggage seems to have doubled in size with all the souvenirs we've bought so we squeeze everything in and check out.

Before we head down the coast we go into Downtown Cancun to market 28. This is definitely the place for haggling and getting some bargains, with all sorts of gifts and souvenirs. Unfortunately the heavens decided to open and we got drenched in a sudden downpour. We buy a few ceramics and a nice handbag and try not to get too wet.

After drying ourselves off we head out to the Moon Palace. Located at the start of the Riviera Maya, there is no other word to describe this hotel apart from humungous. The lobby is like a shopping mall with a smell of popcorn and a jazz band playing. This has long been a favourite hotel with visitors to Cancun but its newer rivals are starting to steal its thunder. Unbelievably one of the most popular activities here is the tour of the kitchens!

We leave the hotel and move on down the Riviera Maya to the Excellence Riviera Cancun. This was definitely our favourite hotel, very romantic, but fun, and luxurious in a modern, simple way. We wanted to eat in every restaurant we saw, especially the lobster restaurant. There was a live band playing by the pool, quiet corners with hammocks, cabanas on the beach and a really great atmosphere. The pool meandered around all the blocks of rooms and there was a fab spa. Not surprisingly we both wanted to stay here forever, and not just because of the incredibly cute sales manager Miguel who showed us around!

We had to be dragged away and off to our next stop, which was to be our home for the next three days - The Valentin Imperial Maya. Built in the style of a Spanish hacienda, we loved the layout and grounds of this hotel, very peaceful with courtyards and flowing streams. We both felt the effects of being closer to the jungle than we were in Cancun and promptly got several mosquito bites to drive us mad. This hotel is very “back to nature” as the rooms are surrounded by swathes of jungle. At night your can hear all the sounds of the jungle which is very atmospheric.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb