Island Girls & Tortugas (turtles)


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

"If everyone is happy with you, then surely you have made many compromises in your life. If you are happy with everyone, surely you have ignored faults of others." ~

Things I love...

4. Breakfasty by the ocean.

Our family vacation is going like gang-busters. We are all vacationing at our own pace; some are early birds getting the worms (using potholders to get those worms since it's so hot here!), and others are crashed till 11am. That would be two teens usually. Some like to float in the pool, some like to read, or surf the web, and some like to wander around eating and drinking 😊

This morning as I type this blog, we are sitting on the beach having breakfast...see the glass of fresh orange juice. Excellent breakie at Playa Maya. There's a summer fair starting here on the beach till July 20th, a big celebration for the end of school and there's a fishing derby here today & apparently around 2 PM all the fishermen bring in their catch and it's amazing to see what they catch; sailfish, marlin, (swordfish which is rare). Mostly it's catch & release for fishermen & tourists going deep sea fishing, unless it's a derby. If you get the timing right, apparently they have chefs on the beach who fry up the fish free! Will be checking this out later today. The beach is filling with people to witness this.

FRIDAY/VIERNES

It was up and at 'em early on Friday morning for the adventure to the island which was a blast for Al & the girls. As mentioned I didn't go, preferring to get some work done and then stroll around town. Just when we were about to head out, I heard rumbling. (and it wasn't Marth's stomach), it was thunder. Yet outside it still looked sunny (that's how it goes here). So I got out my dollar store ponchos with the Canadian flag on them, and off we went into town. Marth and I looked like 2 big ridiculous maple leafs but hey, our clothes were dry but our egos were a little soggy! It lasted all of 2 minutes, then the sun was out giving us a beating again. The locals love Canadians here, so wearing our flag proudly is where it's at.

We walked with Ray and Pat who ended up going off for their own lunch by the ocean following up with groceries for the house. I have decided Walmart & I need a break; we see too much of each other so someone else got milk and beer.

Marth and I shopped around, some new restaurants, new shops, and I bought a lovely beach bag so I don't have to carry my backpack. It's too hot for a backpack, but it does hold my wallet, water, book and small laptop. I bring the laptop as it's the only way to communicate with the house as our cell phones are off here.

As mentioned Playa is expanding 5th avenue north. So I believe we got up to around 5th avenue and 38th street which is a really lively upscale area. We stopped at Negromaro Italian Wine bar. What an excellent choice. Pedro our server was fantastic, recommending drinks and food. Marth had a frozen lime concoction and you could see pieces of lime bits in it; their classic margarita was up to par. For lunch we shared a grilled salmon, on a bed of mashed potatoes with sauteed red pepper, spinach, onion in an ajjilo sauce. Wow, my taste buds jumped up and did the tango. The mixed salad was excellent, with a variety of lettuce, thinly sliced tomatoes & onions, bean sprouts and nuts. Marth said they made the best cappuccino in town to date.

After we walked along the ocean for block after block, the beaches were hopping. I think it's the summer kick-off and it's good for Playa. We stopped again at Muza Cafe and played 2 games of pool; I took the first one, Martha the second one.

We decided there's a couple of spas on our way that had given us their cards, so we stopped at Kristina's. Well I got the best pedicure I think I've ever had for $25US. It was a very upscale place, ladies in uniform, chairs were extremely comfortable and they have a very steady business with at least 10 people doing manicures/pedicures, massages, you name it. (And their sterilization process is like at home; they sterilize the equipment first in an autoclave chemical, then they are dried, placed in paper bags, then placed into the UV sterilizer machines that look like toasters. Playa does not do anything half ass; always professional with that international touch.

So anyhow, it was at least a 1 hour & 10 minute pedicure, and she massaged my feet & legs for the longest of time. Ahhhhhhhh, fantastic. My technician treated me to a longer pedicure than Marth's technician, so Marth was all grumbly about that. I gave Magda a very good tip; Marth wasn't quite as generous to her pedicurist (is that a word) as me but her pedicure was still great. Our toes looked Fabulicious. We were the envy of every female tourist we met along the way home (no we weren't the envy of anybody - just felt like braggin!)

The girls & Al got home at 7PM and they had a fantastic day. Starting with their golf cart rental, touring the island, walking out on the jagged cliffs followed by swimming in the lagoon/bay and eating at Maria's. They came home exhausted, and we had cheeseburgers and salad and just relaxed.

Sat AM/Sábato

7: 30 Sat. morning & Al's gone diving (hope his regulator does not jump up & hit him in the face like the other day!!!) I'm tired of being a "marido beater" (marido/husband) and we're having breakfast by the ocean. Fresh OJ, omelettes, hot cakes, waffles, bacon, and hash browns. A rare treat to have such a big breakfast; usually we just pepare breakfast at home by the pool.

Hope your breakfast & day is getting off to a great start too.

(How many sleeps Sue, Mo and Linda till we see you?!! Celine & famly too! (PS pics below; of two very different days on Friday!)

"The day of the fair is the day to be there"...

Sal and familia


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



25th August 2014
IMG_8032

Meet the Family
Any clue as to what this guy is? Is he here in the wild or in captivity?
27th August 2014
IMG_8032

Meet the family
Hi Dave, my hubby took this pic of this huge iguana at Punta Sur on the Isla Mujeres island. They are huge iguanas (island mascots) that hang around the cliffs, sitting proudly & sunning themselves (while keeping a wary eye on the tourists.) They blend in with the cliffs so you can get quite a scare when you're walking & a huge guy starts to move away!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb