Western Caribbean


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
February 19th 2005
Published: August 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Mayan Ruins in MexicoMayan Ruins in MexicoMayan Ruins in Mexico

These are the amazing ruins we visited in Tulum Mexico.
The first part of our international journey began with a cruise on the Disney Magic. It was a 7 night / 8 day trip to 3 different countries. We sailed on Feb 12th from Port Canaveral, Florida. The ship holds approximately 2700 guests, 1000 crew members and the Magic was built for Disney in 1998 by a ship builder in Italy. One of the officers of the ship told us that it's 1000 ft long and 10 stories high. The Magic was built for $700 million dollars. They went to great lengths to give the ship a "classic cruiseliner" look. The food ,service and entertainment was second to none which partially explains the few pounds we put on during the trip. Disney has designed a perfect cruise experience for families. We were very lucky to celebrate Valentine's Day with Formal Dress Night. We had a great time! Disney thought of everything ... including the small touches like the ships horn playing the Disney Theme Tune! The Disney ships are the only cruise liners to have a firework show shot right off the ship. We can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our first family cruise!

The countries visited included the following: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Mexico; and Castaway Cay, Bahama.

Grand Cayman was trying to recover from the horrible hurricane season! The island was very badly damaged. However, when we took our excursion the guide seemed to have a great attitude. He assured us the people are strong and determined to rebuild. We stopped at a little place that goes by the name of Hell! That's right...it's mostly a tourist stop where people like to mail "clever" postcards to their freinds and family that say I've been to Hell and back. Our guide explained it was named Hell because of the unusual rock formations. Our favorite part of the excursion was Stingray City. The beautiful sand-bar where we were able to stand in waist high water and feed stingrays. Kind of Scary... But Fun!!!

In Mexico we took a tour to Playa del Carmen. Visiting the Tulum Mayan Ruins was our family favorite. Built on a 45ft. cliff overlooking blue waters of the Caribbean. Thanks to the spectacular setting it's an amazing sight to behold!

Before returning to Florida the ship stopped at Castaway Cay. Disney's very own private island,where we had a great time. There's a family beach with every extra you could ask for. Banana Boats, Snorkling Paths, Playsets, Tiki Huts, Great Food and more! Our only compliant...we wish it had been a little warmer. If we ever get the chance to do another Disney Cruise we would go at a warmer time of year.

The Disney Cruise was a great way to begin our journey...we will always treasure the memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Our StateroomOur Stateroom
Our Stateroom

Here's what our room looked like.
The Captain?The Captain?
The Captain?

The girls got to meet lots of characters
Life Boat DrillLife Boat Drill
Life Boat Drill

Okay maybe we didn't take this too seriously!
"Towel Buddy""Towel Buddy"
"Towel Buddy"

One of the small touches..everynight a different towel creation!
Valentine CoupleValentine Couple
Valentine Couple

The ship's formal Night was on Valentine's Day.
Formal NightFormal Night
Formal Night

The girls with Raz our wonderful waiter.
Feeding Stingrays in Grand CaymanFeeding Stingrays in Grand Cayman
Feeding Stingrays in Grand Cayman

Do you know what it feels like to have a stingray eat out of your hand?
Castaway CayCastaway Cay
Castaway Cay

This is Disney's private Island in the Bahamas. I want an Island too!


24th February 2005

To the Bond (ing) family
Love to all. Looking forward to more. - Aunt Heather

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb