Movie Day in Cozumel


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
January 18th 2013
Published: January 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I'm not sure how it happened, but I realize that I'm a little short on one of my Crohn's medications. On a walk last week, we checked unsuccessfully with a few places, so I'm working out a plan to reduce my dosage and stretch out what I have left. Ian doesn't like this idea so he sets out on his scooter to check with some more of the local pharmacies on 20th and 25th. I can't believe it when he shows up an hour later with exactly what I need. He says he stopped at about 8 pharmacies and was about to give up when he found it. Persistency pays off once again. I am so very grateful to have such an amazing, caring husband.

It's windy today but sunny in the morning, we both decide to get a short massage at the little place next door. Ian takes his massage on a massage table outdoor near the beach while I take mine at the Papa Hogg indoor studio next door. What a wonderful way to start the day. Ian thinks a storm is coming, the wind is picking up and clouds are moving in.

I guess we could try to find movies to watch on our computer, but part of the Cozumel experience to us means watching what's on local tv. There are usually six or seven channels in English with Spanish subtitles. Although just because there's an English show on now, that doesn't mean that the next one will necessarily be English, sometimes movies are in French or German with Spanish subtitles - those don't help us. We are fond of one particular channel with some really good older movies called Edge. We catch an old movie called 'Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.' We both come to realize this is the prequil to the Alice series on TV that we both watched as kids - yes we really are that old.

Afterward, we head out to the Cinepolis movie theatre located in the mall behind the Chedraui to see if there any movies in English. Our theatre in Nelson, BC closed down several years ago. It wasn't really much to start with, very old and dingy with uncomfortable seats. So, we don't get a chance to see movies in theatres anymore and we miss that. Although the movie titles are all listed in Spanish, we are pleased to find that most are English with Spanish subtitles. Only a couple have been dubbed into Spanish. The theatre is surprizingly contemporary and very clean. The seats are very comfortable with a modern steep-style layout, meaning there isn't a bad seat in the place. The 3D movie is a kid show, so we catch 'The Impossible' in a regular theatre, which costs 102 pesos or $4.50 US each, cheap! There's only a handful of people in the theatre. The movie is a story of one family's survival from the 2004 tsunami in Thailand. It was very well done, rated 4.5 stars. Although in hindsight, I'm not sure it was an ideal theme, since we are after all on an Island in the middle of the Ocean. When we get out of the theatre the storm is hitting with heavy winds. Winds are coming in from the North, meaning the storm is called Al Norte. We grab a cab back to our condo. The single pane windows in our bedroom rattle all night as the wind continues to blow making it hard to sleep. I get some bad dreams relating to the movie - what can you do!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.7kb