Barbeque Party


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
January 5th 2013
Published: January 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our sore throats are all healed up as are Ian's sinuses. I find that my nails and hair both grow very fast and are very healthy here. I've been trimming my own bangs but will need to find a real haircut soon. We spend a bit of time doing some office work on the computer in the morning while it's still cool in the condo.

We've been watching construction of a building going on near the cruise ship docks, we watch a couple of guys install a large antenna on the roof by hand, something normally done at home with a crane. When we don't have a scooter we do a lot more walking which is good for us. There are 8 cruise ships here today so even the sidewalks are busy with people on the walk to downtown. There's always lots going on in the ocean along the way, we see a pirate ship, sailboats, catamarans, transport vessles, para-sailing, groups of people exploring the shoreline and snorkeling.

We drop into the Chedraui to pick up a few groceries. It's sunny and very hot, we are both soaked with sweat by time we get back. We're planning to have a barbeque tonight with a couple of our neighbors here in the condo. We'll have some potluck items depending on what people bring, but basically it's a bring your own meat event. We're supplying the briquettes for the barbeque and I cook up some potatoes and eggs so Ian can make up a batch of his famous potato salad.

We sit around the pool in the afternoon, I've been swimming for exercise and am now up to 30 laps, my new record.

A large Mexican family staying here is using the barbeque area all afternoon, they make some whole chickens with some kind of sauce, it smells really good. Luckily they clear out just before we plan on using the area so everything works out. We have learned that Mexicans generally eat lunch around 3:30 - 4:00 pm and eat dinner around 10 or 11 pm, so it's quite a different eating schedule than what we are accustomed to. It makes sense to me now why some of the local restauarants seem so empty around our regular lunch and dinner times.

After sunset, we meet up with our neighbors at the barbeque area and Ian gets the barbeque going. There are 8 people in total at the party, 6 Canadians and 2 Americans, all very friendly. It's nice to have people to hang out with, so far we have been the only people using the barbeque area other than the Mexicans earlier today. We have some wonderful veg and fish dips and sauteed prawns. I grill a couple of thin T bone steaks with some barbeque sauce. There's no bugs and it's nice and cool. We sit around and chat for a couple of hours. We head in fairly early since Ian is going scuba diving tomorrow morning. Everything turned out great and it was a very nice day indeed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb