Mercado Municipal


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
January 2nd 2013
Published: January 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We decide to check out the Mercado Municpal (Municipal Market,) it's basically a local market somewhat similar to Granville Island in Vancouver. Stands sell fish, meat, fruit and veg, restaurants, sandels, clothing and so forth, it is very local oriented as opposed to tourist oriented. We didn't know exactly where it was so we took a cab there, it turned out only to be about 5 or so blocks off the main street down the road near the ferry to Playa del Carmen. As it is New Year's day, most of the stands are closed so we will have to come back another day to buy some fresh fish and veg. It's open daily from 8 am to noon. Interesting to discover something new.

We walk around downtown for a bit. Lots of the local stores are also closed today even though there are six cruise ships here. The tourist stores are primarily open. It's another warm day, mainly cloudy. We hit the Chedraui for a few groceries then walk back to our condo. People walking from the ships towards downtown will often ask us how much further to downtown, they are often told it's a short walk but in reality its about a 40 minute walk from the docks near our place to downtown. Ian stops to help out a tourist to open the seat of his scooter, you have to turn the key a certain way.

We eat some sandwiches for lunch with our fresh buns from the Chedraui, they are awesome. Then we hang around the pool with a couple from Ontario and swim for the afternoon. Watch the sunset across the street as usual. Inspired by Gord, Ian is styling his new haircut into a mohawk style - it's cute I think. A very leisurely New Year's day indeed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb