We Made It!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
December 2nd 2012
Published: December 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Going anywhere from Balfour is always an endeavour. Two days ago we we took the 4 hour drive to Spokane, then spent the night at the usual Days Inn. It's nothing fancy, but very cheap, close to the airport, free airport shuttle and we leave our truck in their secured parking lot for $10 per week.

For the first time, we tried the Longhorn BBQ restaurant in Airway Heights, their decor was very dated but food was good and reasonably priced. We will definitely go back.

Yesterday, Frontier Airline flights were both on time, 2 hours to Denver, then 3 1/2 hours direct to Cozumel. Arriving in Mexico is always an experience, first the line up for immigration, then get your luggage for customs inspection where you push a button. If your light is green - your're done and can go. If your light is red - then they inspect all your luggage. We had a green light. Once through, you are greeted by hoards of saleomen from car rentals, hotels, time shares. Ian and I just walked out of the airport over to the traffic circand early and hailed a cab.

Ceclia was waiting for us at
the Villas Mayaluum where we rented our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo. Great location right across from the ocean, walking distance to restaurants, mini mart right next door. Condo is nice, clean, nothing too fancy but a very good price and we think will be very sufficient for the next two months.

Being exhausted from travelling, we had dinner at a little Mexicnan restaurant across the street on the beach and watched a beautiful sunset. There are many cruise ship docks near here, we saw the largest cruise ship in the world, the Oasis of the Seas, leaving port. With 16 decks, she has a capacity for 6,000 people, it was just lovely - a floating small city. After dinner, it was an early bedtime for us.

Waking bright and early this morning, we were excited to get out and explore. Our complex has a nice pool and BBQ area. Downtown Cozumel is about 1.5 miles, so a really good walk along the ocean. Luckily there was a strong breeze and clouds as we need to adjust to the heat and get some sunscreen. Already we both like Cozumel much better than anywhere in Costa Rica. We feel
safer, the sidewalks are in much better condition, ocean is beautiful, lots of diving and snorkelling going on right here. Downtown is very clean, people are very friendly. We have breakfast at a cafe, walk the streets for a while, then hit the Mega Super grocery store. A large and modern grocery store I am sure we will frequent. Fresh meats, fish, produce, pharmacy, clothing, housewares - everything we will need. We purchased our stock up of general foods and grab a taxi back to the condo. There does not seem to be many other tenants in our condo right now, I'm sure that will change over time as we are here.

Sunday in Mexico is the weekend for the locals and their only day off in the week, so many stores were closed and things seems quiet.

Ian and I are both super happy, we can't wipe the smiles off our faces, loving our adventure so far!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




3rd December 2012

Enjoyed your blog!
We were happy to hear that you like the Mayaluum - we were very comfortable there and Cecelia is a great owner/landlord. We have been exploring today ourselves - just got home for some coffee and a nap???? ! It is very quiet here too.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb