Cruise to Cozumel July 2009


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
July 18th 2009
Published: July 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cruise #1: Carnival Inspiration from Tampa to Cozumel

First of all, let me start out by saying I had little interest in going on a cruise. I thought it would be boring to just spend time doing nothing but eating and stuck in a confined space with total strangers. Not only I had no interest, in fact I was concerned somewhat of being forced into a rigid schedule. However, a family friend of ours convinced we do a cruise together and we thought to give it a try. Another family joined us (amazingly the timing was perfect for all 3 families), so we cruised together as a party of 8 adults and 6 kids (ages 7-13yrs). Things went so well, the experience definitely exceeded my expectations. Here is some useful info if you plan on taking the same or similar trip.

1. Embarkation at Tampa: Very smooth, Carnival personnel know what they are doing. Bring your passport along with the fun pass you can print out at home. Fun pass is like a boarding pass that Carnival issues once you complete the booking. Also remember to print your travel insurance details. You can board the ship anytime after 11am for the 4pm cruise (we boarded around 1.15pm), but the rooms are not ready till about 1.30pm. If you board before 1.30pm, go to Lido Restaurant to have buffet lunch, dessert, or afternoon tea/coffee.

2. Rooms are comfortable but small. So pack lightly. Wardrobe to store cloths and safety box to store your valuables are provided. Bring an air freshener as it gets musty and smelly at times, especially in the bathroom. Also bring some over the door organizers to save space and keep things neatly. Bring a hair dryer as it is not provided. Irons are not provided and not allowed in the rooms (pack non-iron clothing). Also bring a bedside alarm clock if you like to know the time when you wake up in the morning. Good idea to bring your own shampoos, conditioner also as you may not like what they provide (only shampoo and bodywash is provided along with face soap)

3. You may bring wine. Adults can bring one wine bottle each. Pack it in your checked luggage though. You can take wine to dinner and the corkage is only $10. However, if you treat the waiter nicely, they will not charge it each time. Soft drinks are $6.95 each, so if you cannot live without soda (OJ, Lemonade, iced tea is free along with tea/coffee and hot chocolate), buy a soda card for $25 (whole trip) that will allow you to have unlimited number of soft drinks.

4. First night is “come as you are” meaning, you don’t have to dress up for fine dining. Second night is the elegant night or Captains dinner; other nights are smart casual/semi formal. We had fine dining for all 3 meals and didn’t use the Lido restaurant much except to get afternoon tea/coffee and mid morning drinks (lemonade or Iced tea, OJ is available during breakfast time). Food is “ala carte” at fine dining restaurants (there are 2 dining rooms- Carnival and Mardi gras) and food is above average in quality. I loved the cold soups and fish dishes. If you like, you can order more than one starter, entrée or even dessert (that if you dont mind gaining couple of lbs). There is a sushi bar with fresh rolls every evening-really good quality. Lido restaurant runs 24 hrs with a mid night pizza buffet. Just unbelievable amount of food is prepared and consumed on board.

5.There is a good size gym and running track. Gym is not crowded and pleasant to use any hour of the day. Running track is on the topmost deck with spectacular views. Middle of the running track is mini golf field. If you have kids, you can get them to play mini golf while you run/walk track. There are steam rooms at the spa you can use free of charge (male/female separate). Not many people use them, so you can have a relaxing time with your friends. There are some classes (we attended one on “how to have a flat tummy”ha ha!) you can attend, again free of charge.

6. Entertainment is another great aspect of cruising. Generally, there is a show at Paris Lounge soon after the dinner starting around 10.30pm (actually 2 shows as there are 2 dinner seatings, 10.30pm show is for late dinner seating at 8.15pm) and then again adults only show around mid night. Shows are Las Vegas show type with lots of dancing and singing with colorful costumes and comedy thrown in between and occasional audience participation (willingly or unwillingly). Final night’s show was fabulous with fantastic dancing and singing with beautiful stage props.

7. Port of call, Cozumel is very touristy. Lots of knick knack and T-shirt shops along with couple of very loud and crowded bars around the port area. We rented a 15 passenger van and drove to see San Gervasio; Mayan Ruins in the middle of the Cozumel Island. San Gervasio has an unusually long history, beginning sometime around 100 BC and continuing as late as the 16th century and was a site dedicated to the Mayan goddess Ixchel ("She of the Rainbows"), deity of midwifery, fertility, medicine and weaving. If you are planning to visit San Gervasio, please remember bring bug repellent. It is the worst bug attack we have ever come across. Also, the place is very hot and humid. Bring plenty of water and wear walking shoes as it is very rocky and slippery at places. Afterwards, we went snorkeling on the west coast of the Island near the Chanukah national park. We were going to snorkel at a place called “Money Bar”, but couldn’t find it. Then we passed the place on our way back to the ship. It sure looks like a great place. Wish we went there.

8. Downtown Cozumel, San Miguel is again full of souvenir shops. Contrary to popular belief, souvenirs in downtown are more expensive than at the port area, so if you are planning to buy any souvenirs buy things before you board the ship from the port area shops. We had lunch at a typical Mexican restaurant “Casa Mission” in downtown. It was recommended to us by a local, but some dishes did not live up to our expectations.

9. Water park and pool area on the ship was the most popular and crowded place at all times. Water slide is quite big/tall and very popular among kids and adults alike. Pool is small for that many people. There are 2 spa/Jacuzzis near the pool also. There is a live band that plays near the pool area where many games like limbo is played. There are 2 table tennis tables available, again very crowded. Better option for adults is provided in the back of the ship with 2 hot tubs. Only 21 and over is allowed in that area which is very low key. Nice place if you want to be in a quiet place away from it all. Art Gallery and Piano Bar are two other places we enyoyed.

10. Tips and gratuities are automatically charged to your “ship and sign” card at a rate of $10 per person per day. However, it is customary to give extra to dining room and house keeping staff. Tip the dining room staff on the very 1st day; they will take care of you well for the rest of the trip. Separate one time gratuity is expected for Maitre D’ during the last night on board.

11. There are many photographers who will be take your photo at dinner and shows and all over the place. You are not obliged to buy any though. They are displayed in a photo gallery and you can purchase using your sail and sign card. Liquor can be purchased on board (I am told cheaper) and also there is a very fun "$10 shop" where everything is $10. You can find some funky jewelry, great looking bags and scarves. Very popular spot for ladies. Casino is well packed and looks and sounds like a typical las vegas hotel casino.

12.Behind the scenes tour of the galley was another highlight. I couldn't believe how many people showed up! You get to see the chefs preparing dinner while walking through the kitchen. Kitchen is small, but well planned out to maximize the use. It was a great experience to see the behind the scenes action of what it takes to feed over 3000 people.

13.Debarkation at Tampa was another smooth operation. US citizens who carry their own luggage can exit the ship quickly. All non US citizens and green card holders must go through immigration first before anyone can exit the ship. Customs forms need to be completed and in your hand as you leave the ship. You may have breakfast at Mardi Grass dining room from 6.30am-8.30am before leaving the ship. We were home by 8.45am.

14.All is all; the cruise was a testament to great management skills; time, material and labor. Quite impressive precision when it comes to execution of dinner to entertainment to anything else in between. They really do want to make you happy. Bottom line is this cruise really worth the money we spent and good time is had by all.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



22nd December 2009

Enjoyed reading
Hi There! I enjoyed your entry and now want to visit those ruins as well! I've been on 5 cruises, two of those to cozumel and will be back in January 2010. How long did the Galley tour take? Thanks! Jena www.travelblog.org/bloggers/jena

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb