Tulum con't and Cobá


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Coba
December 3rd 2010
Published: December 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hola amigos!
just to update you on our situation here, since we are stuck waiting over an hour for a bus at the moment.
Today we are in Cobá, but i will start where i left off last time. We caught the free bus from our hostel, The Weary Traveller (which was pretty average really, but they raved about it in lonely planet-second night there we had a full dorm and one of the older guys was keeping us up all night coughing his lungs out and peeing with the door open in the bathroom so it echoed round the whole bloody room! but anyway...) the bus dropped us about 1km from the Tulum ruins-at the beach. We walked up the road to find a few giant tours of people had just arrived-yay!>not! but the ruins were our first so we enjpyed them anyway. it cost us $102 pesos which is roughly $10 australian for both of us to get in, most people had guides, but there are plaques with info everywhere in various languages so we didnt want to waste any money.

The ruins themselves are pretty nice, seeing they are surrounmded by this thick wall of stones which has very small entry doors we had to go through on 3 sides, and on the 4th side it is a cliff that drops into the ocean about 30m below, hence no need for a wall 😊 but gives it a spectacular view! crystal clear blue water with white sand (many people had decided it was too hot and went down a rickety staircase to have a quick dip). There are 3 big towers on the walls and in the middle are several large building which still have most elemets on them, except the bright paints that we have been told would have adorned them in their day. <One building, a temple had amazing carving on it and you could just see the remnants of red hand prints on the top half of the building which (my theory) suggests that the small ledge just above them could have protected them from the weather.
After the ruins we wandered down to the beach for a quick swim near where the bus was to pick us up again at midday. SO NICE!! except there is quite a lot of rubbish in the sand.
we wandered around town all afternoon wondering whether it was worth spending a lot of money (around $150 US) on a tour the following day to the SIan Ka an Biosphere... we decided against it and enquired about bycicles instead, and the grand cenote.
Dinner was at the hostel with everyone we'd met during the day, though it was cook your own but it included 2 beers for $6 so wasnt that bad really 😊
(btw, my grammar is pretty bad and im writing on a spanish keyboard so everything is in a different place so sometimes i just dont bother)
<next morning we got up bright and early early had our included brekky and went to a new hostel called Chalupa, where they gave us a deal, we had a big double bed in a dorm but the dorm was empty for 10 pesos less than we had paid at the other place! plus they were much more friendly and helpful people.

I have to go to the bus now but will complete this entry when im next at a computer. x + photos i promise

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb