Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
March 3rd 2015
Published: March 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Took the bus today (21p, $1.50 total) to the hotel zone. This is the island spit that wraps around the north and east sides of Cancuun. Once we got out to the beach we walked about five miles. It's a little tricky getting to the beach in some areas. The hotels are very close together, and they don' t like you walking through the lobby unless you are staying there. But we did get out through one hotel just as we were being asked if we were guests there! Walked by some very exclusive high-rise hotels. Beautiful blue waves lapping the shore. We got back to the road via a public walk. Found a little stand, among some very expensive restaurants, with great fish tacos and drinks (100p).

Found a shaded spot to read on the lagoon side of the spit (facing Cancuun). Several speedboats in the lagoon. Saw a little gecko on the ledge in front of us. So cute. Got his photo before he disappeared in his hole. Looked for iguanas as we walked along the lagoon road. A sign said to beware of crocodiles, but we didn't see any. Probably a good thing since there were no fences. Caught the bus back to our hostel area. We had to pass by the market area. One guy followed us for about a block, asking if we wanted to go to the market.

A game of Scrabble on the patio, then off to dinner. We looked for one place fairly near the hostel that was written up in Lonely Planet. We didn't find it, but happened upon La Petrona instead. The food was excellent (and reasonable!). We were going to order two entrees, but our waiter said one order was plenty for two. Sirloin steak, and he was definitely right! Served with many tasty side dishes. We tried the horchata (almond) drink, very good. 6.5 miles on the pedometer at the end of the day.

This is our last night in Mexico. Tomorrow we go home to the cold and three inches of snow! This has been a fun adventure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



4th March 2015

Glad you had a good time. I know it always feels like your time goes by quickly!

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb