QRO Monuments, statues & fountains


Advertisement
Published: March 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This album features a variety of monuments, fountains & statues often found in the plazas in the city's historic center.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

ZENIA PLAZA KIOSKZENIA PLAZA KIOSK
ZENIA PLAZA KIOSK

The plaza is named after Queretaro Governor Zenea Benito Santos (1870).
Hebe fountainHebe fountain
Hebe fountain

This beautiful cast iron fountain dedicated to the Greek goddess Hebe is near the kiosk. Better picture here: http://www.fotosqueretaro.com/kvdir/media/169/qromon025.jpg
VICENTE GUERRERO monumentVICENTE GUERRERO monument
VICENTE GUERRERO monument

in Guerrero Plaza which was named after him. Vicente Ramón Guerrero Saldaña (1782 – 1831) was one of the leading revolutionary generals of the Mexican War of Independence. He was elected the 2nd president of Mexico in 1829. As president, Guerrero championed the causes of the racially & economically oppressed. He ordered an immediate abolition of slavery on September 16 of 1829 & emancipation of all slaves. During Guerrero's presidency, the Spanish tried to reconquer Mexico, but they failed, being defeated at the Battle of Tampico.
VENUSTIANO CARRANZAVENUSTIANO CARRANZA
VENUSTIANO CARRANZA

Bust of José Venustiano Carranza Garza (1859 – 1920) located on a street named after him in the historic center. He was also one of the leaders of the Mexican Revolution. He ultimately became President of Mexico following the overthrow of the dictatorial Victoriano Huerta regime in the summer of 1914. The current constitution of Mexico was drafted during his administration. He was assassinated near the end of his term of office at the behest of a cabal of army generals resentful at his insistence that his successor be a civilian.
Carvings for saleCarvings for sale
Carvings for sale

in pedestrian-only section of 5 de Mayo which is lined with vendors on weekends.
A couple thinkersA couple thinkers
A couple thinkers

also for sale.



20th March 2015

Spectacular !
What a terrific collection of fountains ... it reminds me very much of Aix-en-Provence. And you've also given a fine illustration of all the street art distributed throughout this beautiful place: how fortunate that they don't get snowed in ... people can enjoy it all year round..
22nd March 2015

Gorgeous fountains and beautiful main square!
Thanks for sharing.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb