Calle Hidalgo + Teatro de la Republica on Juarez


Advertisement
Published: January 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Calle Hidalgo & Av Juarez are two of the main historic streets in the historic center. with many impressive historic buildings.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

TEATRO DE LA REPUBLICATEATRO DE LA REPUBLICA
TEATRO DE LA REPUBLICA

on Juarez & Angela Peralta is one of the most important buildings in the city. It was the location of the 1867 trial of Maximilian (the 2nd would-be Emperor) & his two senior generals who were charged with insurrection against the Nation. They were found guilty & executed on the Cerro de las Campanas (Hill of Bells).


This attractive neoclassical theater, which opened on May 2, 1852, was initially named Gran Teatro Iturbide in honor of Mexico’s first & brief-tenured Emperor. It was renamed the Teatro de la Republica in 1922.
Impressive chandeliersImpressive chandeliers
Impressive chandeliers

Politicians met in the theater in 1929 to organize Mexico's long-time ruling party, the PNR (now the PRI).


In 1916-17 during the Mexican Revolution, the Teatro accommodated the Constitutional Congress that developed the document that still forms the basis of Mexican law. The names of the members of the Congress, by state, appear on this plaque behind the stage.


The Teatro is still used for musical presentations and civic occasions.
Corner of Juarez & HidalgoCorner of Juarez & Hidalgo
Corner of Juarez & Hidalgo

across the street from the Teatro. I spent a lot of time on those benches people watching.. Quite often I was joined by a retired nun ;o)



18th January 2015

Nice colour!
I like the colour saturation in the photos on the first page, and also the way you have achieved perfect exposure every time. It's clear that a lot of history unfolded in the Teatro de la Republica ... thanks for letting us know.
19th January 2015

More beautiful street scene
showcasing the beauty of this city.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb