Climbing the pyramids


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Querétaro » Santiago de Querétaro
September 12th 2014
Published: September 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

AKA Adventure to Teotihuacan! Definitely the most fun trip I've taken so far, except the waking up at 4 am part, but it was worth it!

The pyramids are beautiful and the ruins, once a city, are beautifully preserved, dating back to about 100 years BCE. The Teotihuacanos were a peaceful people, and their city was the biggest civilization of its time, coming well before the Aztecs and Maya. There is still a bunch of excavation going on, archaeologists keep finding new things that have been buried and lost.

When we first arrived, we were greeted by the Platalpa dancers. They climb a giant stick will playing musical instruments and then fly through the air: it's amazing! (video coming soon) Then our guides led us through a ceremony similar to what the Teotihuacanos would have done in their time (this is the reason for the headbands).

We spent a lot of time here exploring but also learning about the indigenous heritage of the region from our amazing guides. Then we climbed the Pyramids of the Moon and the Sun. The Pyramid of the Sun, by the way, is the third biggest pyramid in the world. Crossed that off my bucket list. My host dad likes to say that the ancient Mexicans were a lot smarter than the ancient Egyptians because they had the foresight to build steps in their pyramids for all the tourists that would flock to them later. However smart they were, they must have also had freakishly long legs, because those steps are steep!

Once you get to the top, though, the view is amazing! It's like you can see all of Mexico. It's no wonder so many come to visit the site.

After the pyramids, we went to a restaurant/hotel to eat and be merry.

We ended the day with our guide sharing a bit of his heritage with us, and inviting us to dance with his group.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb