Monte Alban


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca
April 17th 2019
Published: April 17th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We left Oaxaca City for Monte Alban one of the first planned urban areas in the Americas. The drove out of the city was a riot of color. Purple jackaranda trees competed with the beautiful orange of the Poinciana and the bubenbilla to use the Spanish spelling. We would never think of putting those colors so close together in our yard, but they work beautifully here. Monte Alban was a large complex with temples; residences, an observatory and all that was required of a bustling civilization. There is evidence of trading with far away places and the walls tell the story of battles and conquests. Smaller carving show people suffering from various diseases and it is believed that these were used as medical texts. It is easy to imagine this place full of life, waiting for life or death messages from the priests. Scholars studying the skies for the next eclipse or comet. I shared this site previously with my granddaughter, Laura and got to share it finally with Troy. Just when I think I do not want to see another ancient ruin I realize that there is always something new to learn. Returning to the city we had lunch and watched the country folk walking around the zocola or standing in their stalls selling products to helps ends meet. There are beautiful dresses and shawls, shirts and bags most hand made We were tempted by small carved spoons for serving dips and salsas. Tonight we will go back for more adventures around the zocola.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb