Puerto Escondido, Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Puerto Escondido
July 2nd 2006
Published: July 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We've arrived at surfer's paradise!!!....


Decided to take a lovely air conditioned, first class bus from Acapulco to Puerto Escondido.. which broke down 6 hours into the journey, so we had to swap onto an old, bumpy, hot bus for the last 3 hours!.. It was actually quite nice though (though my back felt the pain for a day or so after!) .. whizzing along the coastal road between the mountains and the Pacific, with the wind rushing through our hair, smelling all of the rural smells as we passed through villages.. wood smoke, food, and the occassional whiffs of cows and sewerage!


... Arrived in Peurto Escondido to find Milan (who we met in Mexico City hostel) and some people he'd met.. so spent some time with them, and other people here.. very friendly place


Had at least 7 huge cockroaches in our room on the first night (!!!!) .. crawled over Cheryl's foot in the shower, I trod on one, and found 2 on Cheryl's rucksack!!!!.. So we spent a while trapping them under cups, and blocking up plug holes!!, and swapped rooms to a 2nd floor room.. with sea view and balcony! ... so nice we decided to book for another 6 days here.. and also managed to reduce the price



The surfing part of the ESPN "X Games" are at Puerto Escondido this weekend, so we got up very early to watch the first day of the competition, and some of the best surfers in the world.. lots of nice views! The surf was apparently 30 foot here last week.. this week only 10 feet or so.. not that we´ve been in it as the currents are too dangerous... though we did hire a boat to take us out and look for dolphins and turtles (no dolphins out playing, but saw lots of turtles!)


We've also had 2 days of enforced "no alcohol" which is as no alcohol is allowed to be sold during elections in Mexico... so no cervezas for us at the weekend!








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



7th July 2006

Not jealous at all
Reading this on a wet day in London and know where I would rather be. Sorry I missed you last time you were here. The photos are amazing. Will keep following your travels.
17th July 2006

Leave the roaches I will take the rest
Sounds beautiful! Pix look lovely! Could smellt he ocean while reading the notes. Have a wonderful time..

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb