The Big Surf


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Puerto Escondido
November 3rd 2010
Published: November 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We decided to leave Oaxaca after Day of the Dead as we were missing the beach, and we wanted to see the surfing resort of Puerto Escondido. We took the collectivo from Oaxaca, which was rumoured to take around 6 hours, covering a distance of near 250km. We booked our ticket for 150 pesos which we thought was quite a good price. In total the bus journey actually took around 8 hours, and was extremely uncomfortable as the roads were windy and up in the mountains. There were so many pot holes that we did not reach speeds faster than 30mph for pretty much the whole journey. Near the end of the journey it started to rain, and with the conditions of the road, and the fact that there was evidence of recent mudslides, it was quite scary. Also, we had stopped to pick up a random man who was hitched up on a bar stool in the front of the van for the second half of the ride. He spent the whole time distracting the driver and making everyone nervous. We arrived in Puerto and headed straight for the beach of Zicatela to look for accommodation, as we had been told by another traveller that it would be cheaper than staying in a hostel. As it happened this was true and we managed to find a really nice room at Hotel Olas for 250 pesos a night, right opposite the beach.

We spent four nights in Puerto, and had a really relaxed time. We spent the days mostly chilling out; we went running on the beach, did a bit of sunbathing, walking, watching films, and a lot of eating. We discovered an amazing cafe for breakfast called El Cafecito, and on the evenings we went to eat at a Canadian BBQ grill called Split Coconut. Here we had some amazing pork and the BEST steak ever. It made us even more excited for what is to come in Argentina.

Puert Escondido was a nice resort, but it was really quiet when we were there. We guess it gets really busy during summer break, and as it has one of the top 10 surfing breaks in the world, it must get really busy at the right time of year. As we had already visited the Caribbean coast however, we weren't that impressed with the standard of the beaches around Puerto. Katie had been sick for most of the time in Puerto, so we had put off moving on. By Sunday she was feeling better so we decided to move to Acapulco, to see what the beaches were like there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



26th November 2010

Zicatela sunset
WOW n i that hamock chair thing!very tropical n relaxing =) x

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb