Zapotec ruins of Monte Alban


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
November 18th 2013
Published: March 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

After a great exploration of the Mayan ruins, now, it is the time of the most majestic ruins of Oaxaca, Monte Alban, which means “White Mountain” it is an ancient Zapotec capital and archaeological site that dates back to the 8th century B.C. with a glorious mountain top location over the valleys of Oaxaca.

This wonderful site is just a stone throw west of Oaxaca city and is a must see place and became a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The view of the Archaelogical site of Monte Alban is really striking with the ruins of pyramids, temples, plazas, and all the other structures within Great Plaza

Along the Great Plaza there are altars, pyramids and a ball court. The opposite side is lined with ceremonial platforms, including the earliest known structure at Monte Alban that is a series of rock carvings known as Los Danzantes "The Dancers".

One of my favourite are the 170 tombs discovered in Monte Alban and a collection of artifacts discovered in them is on display in the Museum of Oaxaca.

Monte Alban has been a great place to visit and also an excellent escape from the hot of the city of Oaxaca,absolutely recommend that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



7th March 2017

Monte Alban
Another Mayan gem in your belt Marcos. Ruins with a view...magnificent!!!
7th March 2017

Monte Alban
Hi Dave, it is actually Zapotec ruins which is another civilization that built this wonderful place known as Monte Alban.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb