Day 7 Monte Alban & Mitla


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
November 13th 2015
Published: December 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Oaxaca games courtOaxaca games courtOaxaca games court

Loosers did not play again
Today was a long 11 hr day starting with a short day trip to some of ancient ruins s the Oaxaca region firstly visiting Monte Alban. Again a World Heritage site the now ruins were built on a spectacular mountain top that has been flattened by the Zapotec civilization but retaining a strategic view overlooking the valleys of Oaxaca. The ruins include pyramids, temples and residential structures centred around a great square.

We then backtracked to Oaxaca for Mitla, one of the most enigmatic sacred places of the region, especially famous for its mosaics.

On our return to Oaxaca we had a photo stop at a pretty little town of Tule, famous for a tree of the same name, a cypress variety, & believed to the widest tree in the world & one of the tallest & an estimated age between 1200 -3000 years old.

Oaxaca itself is a clean & beautiful city with an incredible atmosphere due to its high predominance of indigenous Mexicans from all the different tribal civilizations of the past and evident all around in the markets, wonderful crafts and great local food. The Spanish influences are again seen with the opulent palace, cathedrals and museums around the Zacolo (square). However thankfully we get a rest from amazing churches and ruins for the next 3 - 4 days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb