Chance Encounters...


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
March 12th 2012
Published: March 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A clay piece from around 300 ADA clay piece from around 300 ADA clay piece from around 300 AD

Displayed in the Tamayo Museum here...
Sunday

We got back from the ballet around 11:00pm (the ballet was good, and dancers quite talented, but I wished I hadn't looked at Romeo with the binoculars and found that he had terrible buck teeth...!), and went right to bed since we had to get up early enough to catch the tour we had booked to the ruins at Monte Alban today for about $12.00 each, which ended up including two side trips to artisans' workshops and show rooms and to a partially ruined church/monastery.

The best part of the tour was our companions! We quickly discovered that all 6 of them had flown in for the wedding that we watched on Friday! So we had all our questions about the ceremony, the guests, and the couple answered...(it was a "destination wedding", she's from the state of Coahuila and he's from Puerto Rico, they met at school in NYC, the family of the bride is wealthy...)

The bride's aunt and cousin spent quite a lot of time talking with us, so we got a glimpse into some wealthier Mexican lives. The aunt was educated at boarding schools in California and Switzerland, and now owns, with her brother, an organic produce farm that employs 250 workers and sells to the States and Canada. Her father started the original farm that was much bigger and employed 5000 workers! The cousin is a young doctor specializing in botox, breast augmentation, and other cosmetic surgery. She was great to talk to and has traveled a lot...

The Monte Alban site was most amazing for its location on top of a mountain, which was leveled by hand several hundred years BC. The first workshop was that of Dona Rosa, who invented a new technique to produce metallic-like pottery in the 1950s. We watched a demonstration by her grandson who has been a potter since the age of 5. A link for more info: http://www.oaxacatimes.com/aug-sep-oct-2011/21-arts/47-black-pottery

We also visited a wood carving and painting workshop. We returned around 6:30 pm...hot and tired!

Monday was back to school for me and an afternoon of walking around the streets of Oaxaca for both of us...

Tuesday we started to finalize our plans for our time in Oaxaca, including hiking in the mountains and another tour of the valley and some other ruins. I will continue lessons through Wednesday and maybe take a last one on Friday. I have an abcessed tooth, which started Saturday. I've been in touch with my dentist at home and tonight we got a recommendation for a dentist here, and I had an appointment right way at 7:00pm. He thinks it is a gum infection only, and I won't need a root canal...hope so!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Inside the theater...this is the original curtainInside the theater...this is the original curtain
Inside the theater...this is the original curtain

Many Americans here tonight...mostly ex-pats, it seems.
Our  tour group arrives at Monte AlbanOur  tour group arrives at Monte Alban
Our tour group arrives at Monte Alban

We went off by ourselves shortly after this photo...group was too slow and we knew wouldn't see the whole site if we stuck with them...The informational signs were in English, Spanish, and Zapotec, so we didn't need a guide.
Looking into the cityLooking into the city
Looking into the city

Our hotel is near the large white tent....
Mucho Sol!Mucho Sol!
Mucho Sol!

The site was first built by the Zapotecs and then later used by the Mixtals dfor burials. Eight indigenous languages atill spoken here in Oaxaca.
Looking down the steps of the taller pyramidLooking down the steps of the taller pyramid
Looking down the steps of the taller pyramid

We were at 6400 feet so this made it even harder to climb up!
Overview of the main plaza at Monte AlbanOverview of the main plaza at Monte Alban
Overview of the main plaza at Monte Alban

Archeologists still don't know much about the site...
At the pottery workshopAt the pottery workshop
At the pottery workshop

Don Nieto, the grandson Dona Rosa (very famous woman who died in 1980, met Jimmy Carter, Nelson Rockefeller...) is using two plates as a potter's wheel.
PotPot
Pot

The black cly is only found here and in New Mexico.
Kids in wood carving workshop painting the figuresKids in wood carving workshop painting the figures
Kids in wood carving workshop painting the figures

They make those fantasy animals you may have seen with very fine details....
Over dressed for Spanish classOver dressed for Spanish class
Over dressed for Spanish class

Wearing my new $1.50 jacket and $2.50 hat...
Object in form of dog, Tamayo MuseumObject in form of dog, Tamayo Museum
Object in form of dog, Tamayo Museum

This was the first museum to display pre-hispanic objects as art, rather than historic artifacts.
Streets at nightStreets at night
Streets at night

So much activity even on a Monday night!


14th March 2012

Ruins
Will you see the famous ruins at Mitla? A lesser known ruin is Yagul on the way to Mitla. We liked it because it is on a beautiful site, smaller and manageable and more remote. It doesn't have peddlers and hucksters promoting themselves...less circus atmosphere...you can actually imagine the past. But again, this was in 2004. Good luck with your tooth pain!!! Hope you feel better.
15th March 2012

Ruins et. al
Very surprised at the size of the flat mountain top ruins. All scenes making me homesick for Mexico.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb