Week Ten


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
March 9th 2012
Published: March 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Taller de ASAROTaller de ASAROTaller de ASARO

ASARO's workshop
Muralismo

Possibly the most popular art movement in Mexico is the mural movement of the twentieth century. Begining in the 1920s with the end of the revolution, muralismo has since gained Mexico international fame. These early murals, painted by greats like Rivera, Orozco and Siqueiros, portray themes of revolution, history, nationalism, marxism, industrialization, christianity and the state.

When we were in DF, we were lucky enough to see many of these works in Bellas Artes and the Palacio Nacional. Despite, as I learned in class the other day, Rivera's self promoting and selfish character, I am still enamored by his work. While not the body of his work, I find his signature lilies and portrayal of the bourgeoisie absolutely beautiful and emblematic of the glamour of the 1920s. Rivera is probably rolling in his grave about what I just wrote...

Anyways, on a recent class field trip to the taller de ASARO, La Asembla de Artistas Revolucionarios de Oaxaca, we were able to see how the mural movement has effected artists in Oaxaca. This collective workshop of anonomous, revolutionary artists creates wood cut prints and stensils of current political and social issues. While they leave their work unsigned (to avoid subscribing to the bourgeois privitization of art), their murals and posters can be seen all over Oaxaca.

The collective reached a critical moment in the 2006 protests in Oaxaca. Much of their art supported the teachers and was critical of the oppressive, corrupt governor and covered the streets of the blocaded city. The juxtaposition of destruction and looting associated with the protest and later military repression with ASARO's public murals and grafiti must have been a fantastic.

Here are some of the murals seen both in ASARO's studio and throughout the city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb