Oaxaca (whoa hawk ah), Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
October 13th 2011
Published: October 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hola from Oaxaca, Mexico!

Having fun exploring this old 16th century town. It is small enough to walk everywhere. Around every corner there seems to be fun things of interest.

My first meal was chicken Mole Negro. It was so yum. The cold Modelo Negro washed it down nicely.

Exploring crazy big markets with all kinds of trinkets, clothing, animal parts, veggies, and other exotic things to eat. In the Zocolo, the main square....enjoyed a free classical concert! Met a nice couple who own a hostel and enjoyed a cup of coffee, some sweet bread, and some mezcal at their place afterwards. Trying to use as much Spanish as I can remember, but sometimes my Swedish gets in the way. I end up speaking a confused version of Spandish!

Day two took me on a tour from 10 am to 6:30 pm....for a paltry 180 pesos...about $14.00. We went to the world's largest tree (girthwise), Mitla (an old archelogical site), a family owned textile factory, a small mezcal producing factory, and a waterfall that has mineralized itself. Got a swim in the mineral pools.
Later that night I met up with Gordy, a friend of a co-worker of mine that has lived her for 6 years. He took me to the 8th anniversary of the Railroad Musuem Party...with music, art, sangria, beer, and horderve's.

Day three I took a 2 hour tour of the Botanical Garden. It was a beautiful little oasis. Then, met up with Gordy....we went to the marketplace and he showed me a good place to get a drink called Tejate (a healthy cacao type drink). Then, we went to the street where they make Mexican Chocolate. They gave out free samples and it was to die for yum! We sat and cooled off with a cold chocolate milk. Then, he took me to a place that has Mezcal tastings for 10 pesos. Mezcal is tasty but oh, so strong!! Walked Gordy to work...then took a walking tour to a pretty downtown park with statues and fountains, had a nice lunch at a little local spot and ate my first Tlayuda (like a mexican pizza), walked thru a cute little cobblestoned suburb called Jalatlaco, took in a double latte at Caffe Nuevo Mundo, had a margarita at Biznagas (suppose to have THE best margs), and sample a pulque (beer made from a Maguy plant). Settled into an art library and thumbed thru a book about the famous female mexican artist Frida Kahlo. After the rain subsided, I meandered the wet cobblestone streets back to my cozy hostal...the Casa del Sol.
Day four will take me on another tour to the old ruins of Monte Alban, a black pottery factory, a place where they paint in crazy colors wooden animals of all shapes and forms, and to an old village with a magnificent church.
Still looking forward to taking the bus to a huge market in Tlacolula and a cooking class on how to make Mole!
Monday, I am off to the coast to eat seafood, etc.
Adios for now amigos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



14th October 2011

looks like you are having a great time, as always!!
my florida plans are coming together and I am getting excited about seeing old friends and floating! we will have to swap travel stories when we are back in PT....keep blogging, enjoy your stories!
14th October 2011

Back to Oaxaca
I was there 1979. Remember it as a magical town. The author and socialantropologist Carlos Castaneda writes about the Mexican magician Don José who heretaged from Oacaxa. Anybody there who knows anything about this? Thank you Kristina for letting me follow your trip! Next time in Marakesh?
14th October 2011

Looks like fun
Hi Kristina, Sounds like a fun trip, thanks for blogging! How was the worlds biggest tree? that would be something to see, I remember travelling along the Oregon coast and stopping at a scenic turnout and there was a cedar or group of cedars that had grown together into a huge ring, big as a house, was looking for a hobbit to walk out and say hi. All the chocolate sounds good, I've seen some mexican chocolate at a local market, little round cakes wrapped in wax paper with nice labels. As usual, excellent pictures, I like all the peppers and the guys laying out the beef and the waterfall looked pretty cool. The leaves here are well on their way to changing over, we went hiking in the White Mountains last weekend, nice to smell the fresh balsam, and get out on the trails. Have a good trip!
19th October 2011

Oaxaca
Kristina. What a beautiful blog. It took me a while to figure out how to open it. You are not only a photographer but also a beautiful writer. It great that you take time to share with your poor working friends! It was like a little vacation of my own. Keep up having fun! Sailor Bil

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb