nosotros corazones son en oaxaca!


Advertisement
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
November 18th 2009
Published: February 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We spent one and half glorious months in oaxaca. it was everything and so much more than we had even hoped or expected it to be. both of us agreed whole heartedly that it was one of our favorite destinations on the entire trip. not only did we fall in love with the city but we loved our spanish language school, the friends we made and our teachers, the food we ate, the house and neighborhood we l... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 285, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

MitlaMitla
Mitla

Mitla is the second most important archeological site in the state of Oaxaca in Mexico, and the most important of the Zapotec culture.
MitlaMitla
Mitla

The name Mitla is derived from the Nahuatl name Mictlán, which was the place of the dead or underworld. Its Zapotec name is Lyobaa, which means “place of rest.”
MitlaMitla
Mitla

What makes Mitla unique among Mesoamerican sites is the elaborate and intricate mosaic fretwork and geometric designs that cover tombs, panels, friezes and even entire walls. These mosaics are made with small, finely cut and polished stone pieces which have been fitted together without the use of mortar. No other site in Mexico has this.
YagulYagul
Yagul

Yagul is an archaeological site and former city-state associated with the Zapotec civilization of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica.
YagulYagul
Yagul

The site is also known locally as Pueblo Viejo (Old Village) and was occupied at the time of the Spanish Conquest. After the Conquest the population was relocated to the nearby modern town of Tlacolula where their descendants still live.
YagulYagul
Yagul

Yagul was first occupied around 500-100 BC. Around 500-700 AD, residential, civic and ceremonial structures were built at the site. However, most of the visible remains date to 1250-1521 AD, when the site functioned as the capital of a Postclassic city-state.
YagulYagul
Yagul

Yagul is one of the most studied archaeological sites in the Valley of Oaxaca. The site is set around a hill, and can be divided into three principle areas; the fortress, the ceremonial center and the residential areas. The construction stone at Yagul is mainly river cobbles formed from volcanic rock such as basalt. About 30 tombs have been found at Yagul, sometimes located in pairs. A few of these bear hieroglyphic inscriptions.



Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb