Thar's a Nipple in My Soup


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Nuevo Leon » Monterrey
September 11th 2006
Published: September 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yep, many times, open-air restaurants serve customers a complimentary bean-based soup... and it seems like every time we eat it, all of it gets eaten except for this one piece of meat that looks like it has taste buds. So, the conversation inevitably turns to a lively debate of whether it IS or IS NOT "tongue." On two different occassions, the argument has required a judge (the waiter) who is asked with excited pointing gestures to the interrogater's open mouth if it is indeed "lengua." Both times the waiter has laughed amd assured us that it was not. The problem is, that no one has ever understood the explanation of what it really was.

Yesterday, I went to my second Monterrey Rayados soccer game. The Rayados are one of two professional soccer teams here in Monterrey, and they are serving as my replacement for UT football. Believe it or not, the fans are just as die-hard as Vol fans. Instead of a sea of orange and white, the streets teem with striped, navy and white jerseys (or a sky blue one like the goalie's). Once inside the stadium, the beer is flowing and curse words are required in every sentence
BorrachoBorrachoBorracho

This guy was really animated and drunk, but he was a crowd favorite. He led cheers and then danced to them. Everyone yelled "Eso" or "that". Like, "that's what we like to see."
(as well as in the cheers); however, it is strangely a family atmosphere, and there are plenty of little boys accompanying their fathers and ignoring the bad behavior. During the first game we sat in the seats that were about $20 and we were away from the action. However, this time we got general seating and so spent most of the game standing up and sitting back down and bumbling cheers in Spanish. I know that the last two words are Rah Rah, so I always ended well. Accompanying the cheer is a rhythmic, karate chop motion that doesn't require language proficiency, so at least I looked like I knew what I was doing. I actually asked the man I was sitting beside what the cheer said (half of it isn't words anyway but sounds so it's tough), and he said I could just say anything that I wanted. I thought, "well fantastic," but he wasn't blowing me off because he was really interested in making sure that we said the cheer as a team for the rest of the game. I guess we both got a pretty big kick out of it in the end.
They had a pretty
Sporting the JerseySporting the JerseySporting the Jersey

The game ended in a 2-2 tie which was disappointing. I don't look too impressed here.
hardcore half-time show, too. Forgot trying to throw a football at a target or kicking a field goal.. that's for wusses. Here in Monterrey, they lined up a psuedo-gauntlet with 4 cowboys with lassos on each side. At the end of the gauntlet was a small soccer goal with a goalie. These poor 3 guys each went through it like 7 times only to get lassoed around the ankle to bust on their faces, or to get caught around the neck, or to make it through only to completely miss the soccer goal that they were aiming for... it was amazing.

So, back to that subject that everyone has been waiting for. After the game we walked to a nearby taco shop, and Matt got the soup. His tongue-like meat had an interesting bump/ deformation on it that we were all interested in. Then, he put it upside down, and the light bulb came on. He said, "guys, that's a nipple." Sure enough; we even got confirmation from the waiter. Of course there were plenty of dares, but when it came down to "crunch time" nobody could be convinced to eat the thing. And so the mystery meat is
CelebrationCelebrationCelebration

The stadium absolutely explodes when there's a good goal. There's also a section that runs up and down rows of seats which creates a vertical wave of people.
solved, it is THAT part of the pig.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Matt CheeringMatt Cheering
Matt Cheering

Matt cheers while James just tries to keep out of the way of the beer salesmen. We arrived late, so half of our group had to sit on the very narrow concrete stairway between the rows.
The Die-HardsThe Die-Hards
The Die-Hards

This is the section that arrives on old gray buses practically rocking back and forth with the excitement of people within. They jump, sing, whistle, or wave flags the whole time.
View of FieldView of Field
View of Field

Don't let this photo fool you into thinking that the place wasn't crowded. The pic just happens to capture the most expensive seats in the stadium, the rest is absolutely packed. This is the stadium of my University and where their American football team plays... however, not too many people go to American football games.
Lil' BoyLil' Boy
Lil' Boy

One of the various little boys running around, eating pizza, and drinking Cokes. They're a nice reminder that the game isn't all that important.


11th September 2006

Loves it!
Christin! I LOVE this blog... I think you describe everything soooooo perfectly: the soccer, the fans, the.... nipple. :-D Seriously, I think I laughed out loud for the past 10 minutes. Can I link to your blog in my next entry? I love it!!
11th September 2006

Rah, Rah!!!
Christin, so glad you are having a fun time and meeting people that will help you out when you need clarification of delicacies in your soup or pronunciation in a cheer. Continue to have fun!
11th September 2006

this brings back ambsterdam soccer game memories..lol..i like the nipple soup lol..i bet u ped a little when u found that out haha..love u and miss u!
12th September 2006

Absolutely hilarious--things such as this would only happen to you! hehe.
12th September 2006

sure my friend, link away
13th September 2006

That's absolutely classic...I am digging the cowboy gauntlet!! I bet that was hilarious!! Sounds like you are having the time of your life!! Miss ya!
13th September 2006

Christin!
Lets try and keep these titles G rated. K? I know it is HARD for a woman who posts pictures of men on her wall who have small animals falling out of the open zipper of theirs pants, but lets make an effort here. I LOVE YOU!!!! Rebekah

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb