Cuitzeo


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Morelia
February 24th 2015
Published: February 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Feb 12 Travelled to Cuitzeo a small tribal town on a lake. We are parked dry camping in a school on a dirt lot. Cows are herded through daily with men on donkeys. The locals are friendly and kind a small town you can walk in one hour return. Valentines was very special as we were taken to this very rustic natural springs bath and then given a massage. We walked back to the hills passing by the locals with lots of conversation in Spanish they speak no English. When we pulled in winding down the narrow streets with everyone in town at the road side curious as if the circus was coming to town. They were moving cars so we could juggle down and lifting the power lines with sticks for us to get under.

Sunday Feb 15th we went to the Butterfly reserve. 10,000 foot elevation. It was a rough drive to El Rosario, to the Monarch Butterfly reserve. We walked a steep hill thinking we would not making breathing heavy from the high elevation. We then climbed the steepest part on horse back. At the reserve the Butterflies come from Canada every year for the winter. They all arrive between Nov 18 and 30th and within one day all arrive to the reserve millions and millions. They live in Colonies and begin there breeding cycle. Both male and female die after the complete rotation of a new generation which takes 4 years for that generation to return to Canada. Once they leave and return to Mexico to the conolies they never leave again they die from reproduction.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 16; qc: 52; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb