Morelia ,Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Morelia
December 31st 2018
Published: January 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

I am not sure what happened with the last blog . I published it but haven,t received a copy yet . Hope it finds you ...and me

As I said the bus ride here was long but not a problem. Leather seats , leg rests , seat belts , separate men and ladies washrooms ...luxury.

The country side was interesting . Agriculture for the most part with fields of dry corn stalks , some in stooks , new crops (grains I believe) and fields of Agave for the tequila industry. We drove up mountains covered in brush and some just scrub. Not REAL mountains.

Not arriving here until dark was a disappointment but seeing the Centro Historico all lit up was almost like a fantasy . As I said before there were many people of all ages about . Lots of noise , some of it music and everyone seeming to have a good time.

This city is really amazing . Founded in the mid 1500's it was initially an ecclesiastical settlement . Jesuits , Dominicans , Franciscans and nuns of various orders all built their palacios and established their schools . The cathedral was built in 1705-45 a and that really fostered more growth and the wealthy built their palacios many of which have become government buildings as well as hotels and guesthouses of the "boutique" style. I am staying in one 3 blocks from the cathedral that was once a private home . Not a palacio but i believe it housed several related families around an inner courtyard which has 2 distinct areas. It is built of stone and has been modernized comfortably.

I have visited many of the museum's , galleries , markets and churches and marvel at the architecture ... and the people . It is definately a holiday season although i suspect it is alwys buzy . Morelia has a population off 5000,000+ . IN spite of that I think it is one of the cleanest cities I have ever been in . Men with their brooms nd dustpans are frequently wandering through the public areas .

Saturday was an interesting day . There were weddings happening in many of the churches . In the cathedral I happened upon a bride and groom being presented to the congregation and then they and all their guests leaving from a side door as another bride was waiting to proceed up the aisle. I have no idea how often that we happening. Their were also MANY quinciera celebrations happening .Girls in very elaborate gowns and family members dressed to the nines as well . Then around the corner there was a Hari Krishna festival happening . Chanting , dancing , free food , markets , puppet shows ... surreal but fun .

Yesterday I spent quite a bit of time learning about Morelos . A priest , who was also a builder and a learned man who became involved in the insurrections of the1800's. He had been educated by the Jesuits who promoted reasoned study of philosophy and historical principles as well as Christian dogma. He lived a political-charitable theology and was a charismatic leader. An interesting history.

At his execution it is said his last words were. "Lord if I have acted rightly you know it and if wrongly I appeal to your infinate mercy.

Enough of history . Last night I attended a concert in the cathedral . It was packed! There were many dignitaries in attendance and some very accomplished singers backed by serious classical musicians . Tenors , a contralto , another tenor and a full choir all entertained . The featured contralto and tenor sang individually and then together sang Leonard Cohen's Allelulia as I have never heard it before. My family would have loved it.

Enough.for now .will pick up this thread another day.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all .

.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb