Friday, January 10, Day at the Hot Springs and Molly Johnson Concert


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Jocotepec
January 15th 2014
Published: January 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Friday, January 10

I have wanted to spend a day at the hot springs since we first arrived in Mexico. They are just on the other side of Ajijic in a town called San Juan Cosala. Finally, today was to be the day. Mary Anne Joined us, we hopped on the local bus and rode through town. As we passed the outskirts of Ajijic we watched for landmarks as a hint as to when we should get off the bus. Soon everyone on the bus joined in to make sure we got off at the right stop. We now know the landmarks and it’s very easy.

We found the entrance less than a block from the bus stop to what we thought was the one and only Hot Spring Spa at this location. However, after meeting Edgar, we learned that there are two. He manages this spa “Termal Cosala” and the adjoining Spa called Balneario San Juan Cosala.

There are differences between the two. Termal Cosala is very quiet, no children. The large infinity pool is cooled to a wonderful 35 degrees Celsius. There are three other smaller pools that are much warmer. One is like a very large Jacuzzi with nice jets along the side, another has spouts from above that can feel good on your shoulders and the last is a nice pool under a palapa hut in which they add oatmeal to the water. Then there are two steam huts. It is almost impossible to see in the steam but once in there it is wonderful. One has fresh eucalyptus placed on top of the vent; I’m not sure what was in the other. Spa services like a massage are available at an extra charge.

The grounds of Termal Cosala provide a beautiful view of Lake Chapala and the mountains. There are many umbrellas available by the pool, by the lounge chairs and on the tables and chairs. There are double hammocks available for use by anyone and there is a very nice restaurant. Menus, drinks and food are brought to you wherever you happen to be lounging.

We had a wonderful relaxing day there and probably got a little too much sun but it felt good after the cool weather we have had.

Before leaving, Edgar took us next door to the other spa. It is a water park with two large water slides and lots of children. There are many different little restaurants and bars separating the water park area from the spa area. The spa area there has a very large pool, and many tubs each with a different therapy. There was one with coffee, another with wine, one with flowers and another with apple cider. There was a mud bath and a special reflexology river walk. This spa also had the steam huts and massage rooms but the whole place seemed much busier and not really as relaxing. We may use the tubs on another visit as the cost is only about an additional $5 USD.



It was a quick and easy trip back home on the bus.



Sunday, January 12

We booked tickets weeks ago for the Guido Quartet and Molly Johnson performance at the Auditorium. It was a good thing, there were three performances and all were totally sold out.

Our tickets were for the one afternoon performance. It is so much easier getting places when the local buses and taxies are running.

The Guido Basso Quartet consisted of Guido playing the Flugelhorn and Trumpet, Mike Murley playing the Saxophone, Reg Schwager playing the guitar and Steve Wallace playing the Bass. The awards that these musicians have won are mindboggling. Guido has even won the Order of Canada for his music.

Although their music was wonderful, it was really Molly Johnson that Rick and I went to hear. She sang some famous well known songs as well as songs that she had written. Regardless of what she was singing, it was as though each song was written just for her voice. She was living each song as she sang it.



It was a special evening to have all of these Canadian, award winning musicians on stage, performing for us in Ajijic. There were no cameras allowed in the Auditorium this day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb