Shiny shoes and a steakhouse


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
January 22nd 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

So far in Mexico we had very few issues with taxis but in Guadalajara we found a taxi rank at the second class bus terminal that wanted P$50 for a short ride. We just walked on a bit. A taxi was dropping off so we asked what the ride would cost and he said P$35 but pointed us back at the taxi rank. We just carried on walking until the taxi driver felt comfortable about taking us out of turn.

We tried 2 other hotels before settling on the Hotel Posada San Pablo. The price was OK at P$350 and the room was large and private. The lady had a little poodle called Ninja.

We went for a walk finding an impressive collection of central buildings but not with a whole lot of charm. We collected maps from the tourist info lady and went to get our shoes shined. We had our shoes done by a lovely old gentleman who spoke perfect english. He was 80 years old and originally from Mexico City. Pieter was quite affected by this. Someone this old should be sitting at home watching cable. We paid him more than he asked for and we returned the next day with the rest of our shoes.

There is one UNESCO World Heritage Site in town. The Hospicio Cabanas was a huge complex of courtyards that had been an orphangae and a jail in the past. We paid a helfty P$70 each to get in. There was some ho hum art. Most impressive, but not to our taste, were the murals in the central dome building. It was lovely but not necessarily worth the entrance fee.

We explored the market which was huge and organised with fruit and veg and meat, lots of leather and poor-quality tourist tat. Next we took a bus to the Parque Agua Azul. There was a small entrance fee of P$4.50. It was a little disappointing. There were more butterflies outside than inside the butterfly dome, the bird house was closed and all the signs pointed the wrong directions, making finding a loo that wasn't getting renovated a little difficult. We saw a rat but still sat for a while and enjoyed the well maintained gardens.

For dinner we found a meaty buffet at the Sirloin Stockage. At P$97 each it was a bit of splash but while paying before being seated we found out it was 2 for P$99 and all of a sudden a great deal. And the food was fantastic.

Guadalajara was nothing special, we didn't get much out of it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb