The Cliff Divers of Acapulco . . .


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guerrero » Acapulco
February 10th 2010
Published: February 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

One of the “must see” things in Acapulco are the Cliff Divers. For generations, local men have been diving off a cliff from a height of up to 120 feet into a narrow channel where the water is only 18-25 feet deep. I hadn’t been to see the divers on my own yet, as it was something I wanted to bring my family to see. So tonight was the night to see the divers.

We had a quick room service dinner in their cabin, then Uncle Allan, Aunt Renee, Kelsey and I got off the ship and took a taxi to the cliffs. There are a couple of spots where you can take in the show. We decided to go to the comfortable option of sitting in an open-air lounge on top of the cliff. We had some drinks and enjoyed the breeze coming in off the ocean (and were glad we brought jackets). There was a gorgeous sunset right when we first arrived which was an excellent bonus.

Soon after the sun had completely set, the divers appeared. They walked down a set of stairs on our side of the cliff carrying torches lit up with fire. One by one, they dove into the water from a height of “only” about 40 feet to then swim across the small channel. At the other side, they began to scale the cliff face wearing nothing but their speedos! That part was pretty impressive to me!

There were six divers that we watched dive in singles in pairs, doing flips and tricks as they fell through the air. It was a pretty awesome sight.

We lingered over our drinks for awhile after the show. On our way out, a couple of the divers were at the front door to gather tips. Kelsey and I had our photo taken with them.

Then it was back to the ship - work for me, hot tub, a show and sail away for the family. It was a great day in Acapulco.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Getting ReadyGetting Ready
Getting Ready

This is just where the dive to swim to the cliff for the actual show
DivingDiving
Diving

The blur in the middle are 2 guys diving
DivingDiving
Diving

The blur in the middle are 2 guys diving
Post-ShowPost-Show
Post-Show

Me & Kelsey with two of the divers


21st February 2010

That is TOTALLY impressive. I guess when you grow up doing it, it becomes second nature... but how do you BEGIN? lol
4th March 2010

divers
How beautiful this is, Jeannette. Also, great looking family!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb