Garbage day....


Advertisement
Published: January 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Since I am in school in the mornings, it was Bill's task to deal with the garbage yesterday morning. The instructions in the house said the garbage collectors would come through an adjacent street around 10:00 am, ringing a loud bell. Here, one has to take one's bag of trash to the truck and hand it to a worker. Bill waited with anticipation all morning: but no garbage truck... After I got home and we had brunch, I spoke with our Mexican neighbor who told me that the truck comes at 8:00 am (and 9:30 on the opposite street) and that we would have to wait until Monday. A few minutes, she knocked at the door, letting me the truck was here! I ran down with our bags, handed them to the man in the back of the truck, and returned home...mission completo!

My Spanish class is still hard, but I'm starting to be more comfortable with the preterito and imperfecto....I was able to make up a few sentences about baking bread here that used both correctly!

On Tuesday, we spent the afternoon at the big Tuesday market, looking around and buying some vegetables and fruit. I ended up with two big papayas for $1.00, since the stand was closing up!

On Wednesday, we went to the Artisan Market and then had drinks in a rooftop bar, dinner in the main square, and dessert in a French bakery/cafe...

Today (Thursday) we took a cab to the Botanical Gardens (El Charco de Ingenio), and walked the trails for a few hours.

"It was a local initiative born in 1990 which resolved to rescue and protect a unique area of great environmental, scenic and historical value, open to all as a community resource. In the heart of the central highlands of Mexico, El Charco del Ingenio Botanical Garden includes over 170 acres of nature preserve in the historical town of San Miguel de Allende. An extraordinary natural monument, its name comes from a legendary spring-fed pool nestled in an impressive canyon spotted by historic vestiges. An old reservoir extends on wetlands frequented by birds and surrounded by vast slopes of native scrubland."

In 2004 El Charco del Ingenio was proclaimed a Peace Zone by the Dalai Lama, Tibetan leader and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, during his visit to Mexico. Five Peace Zones were designated in the country, places free of violence and arms, dedicated to the conservation of nature and community development.

We had dinner tonight in a little rooftop taco bar, and on the way home, chanced upon a wonderful concert with a mariachi band, a female singer, and an outstanding male singer, who had movie star looks and a voice to match!

Tomorrow we attend the vigil here at 11:00 in the Jardin....


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb