Learning to Cook with Tomatillos, Guajillos, Anchos and Serranos


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato » San Miguel de Allende
September 25th 2008
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Both Ronnie and I have been wanting to learn more about Mexican cuisine while we are here, especially all those different chiles! Luckily, my mom and step-dad Mitch were also very interested in taking a class....luckier still was that Dianne was offering a class out at her rancho with the amazing chef Kirsten West! (She worked with Dianne Kennedy, Rick Bayless for years and was Mick Jagger's personal chef for four years! He is very nice and down to earth she says)

We drove out the the beautiful rancho with 2 other couples. Still, every time Ronnie and I go there, we are just breathless. We never want to leave! Once class was about to start, we all sat down with our hibiscus flower coolers and began to take notes on how to make (I swear) the best guacamole I have ever had. The recipe is from Dianne Kennedy and instead of just being a regular guacamole, it had cut up peaches, grapes, pomegranate seeds and spicy serrano chiles. It was AMAZING! Ronnie and I ate more than we should since we had to share with others.

Then we learned how to make three different salsas: a classic tomato
RC, JB and MomRC, JB and MomRC, JB and Mom

waiting for class to begin
and chile salsa, a fresh tomatillo salsa, a cooked green salsa and a smokey three dried chile salsa. After the class, we got a tour of the rancho and the gardens. Dianne now had a bunny pen! Lots of cute conejos bounce around happily. Then after, all the salsas were set up and we made tostadas for lunch and all sat around a giant table in the magnificent dining room. The class was so much fun and we can't wait to make those salsas and guacamole! It is also nice to finally know what all those dried chilies are in the mercado!

It is so nice having Mom, Mitch and Grandma Shirley here. We have been relaxing around and only doing one event a day...so we are truly on Mexican time. Along with their company, M&M brought many treasures from the New World. We received magazines, great birthday cards and gifts from Ronnie's family and I got a great card from my other Grandma King who lives in one of my favorite towns, Rough and Ready California. It is still a bit strange for us to see people we know in this home away from home, but we are really enjoying the company.

My Spanish School starts up again on Monday and I am both excited and a bit sad to lose my "spring break." I do enjoy speaking the language very much and am looking forward to learning even more.

Here is one of the (easiest) recipies from class that you can make at home in the states!

Fresh Tomato and Chile Salsa
Recipe from Authentic Mexico by Rick Bayless

Makes about 1 1/2 Cup

1 Large Tomato, Ripe
2-3 Med. Chile serrano (or 2 jalapenos)
1 Small Onion
1 Clove Garlic
8-10 Sprigs of Cilantro, Chopped
Salt to Taste, about 1/2 teaspoon
1 Teaspoon Lime Juice (Or cider vinegar)
1 Tablespoon of water


1. Chopping the ingredients: Core the tomato, then optionally seed it by cutting across the width and squeezing the seeds and liquid. Chop it very finely so no pieces are bigger than 1/16 inch and scoop into a small bowl. If you want a milder salsa, also seed the chilies. Chop the garlic and onion and add to the bowl. Then add the cilantro.

2.Seasoning the salsa: Stir in the salt, lime juice (or vinegar) and
Kirsten West showing usKirsten West showing usKirsten West showing us

the stages of a chile's life
1 Tablespoon of water, then let the flavors mingle for 1/2 hour before serving.

Buen Provecho!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

TomatillosTomatillos
Tomatillos

The thing that makes salsa verde green
A water lilyA water lily
A water lily

in a fountain at the rancho
Flowers I am caring forFlowers I am caring for
Flowers I am caring for

I am so proud of how much they bloom!
Night decorations in SMANight decorations in SMA
Night decorations in SMA

for the Mexican Independence


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb