Guanajuato and Zacatecas


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato » Guanajuato
August 1st 2011
Published: August 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

One last excursion before i head to the states.
Gunanjuato is probably my favourite city in Mexico so far, it reminds me of Italy, cobbled streets with little alleyways set in a valley with brightly coloured houses that surround the town. With lots of old buildings that stand out when up high in the hills looking down on the town.
Its the city of the mummies (not the ones pushing strollers around). The story is that years ago they dug up the old graves to make way for new ones, only to find the bodies had naturally 'mummified' from the minerals in the soil. So as you know that kind of thing is right up my alley i went to see them, and they didn't disapoint.
After the mummies i walked to the Hidalgo markets, which was built from the cast iron of a french railway station, it looks great but the market was kind of average.. though i did buy a shot glass (for tequila only) to make me appear more Mexican by drinking tequila.
After wandering the streets going in and out of churches and museums i headed to the funicular, as small cable car that goes up the hill overlooking the town. the views were great and im glad i didnt walk up.

After Guanajuato i headed to Zacatecas, known to be rich in silver and other minerals.
Again this city was surrounded by mountains, thought not as colourful and compact as Guanajuato.
I walked around the city, took in all of the numerous grand churches they have, then went up on on their cable car, which was high above ground going right up the mountain overlooking the city.
After a day walking around the city checking out the sights, the next day i headed out of the city to the middle of nowhere to see some more ruins (this country is full of them).
It is said that this place could be the legendary Chicomostoc, a Caxcan site, a Teotihuacán fortress, a Tarascan center, a fort against Chichimeca intruders, a Toltec trading post, or simply consequence of independent development and a city of all the native groups established north of the Río Grande de Santiago (thanks wiki).
Anyway they were great to see, though not my favourite ruins, there wasn't alot there, but had great views. Oh its also rattlesnake territory so they were lurking around somewhere. Luckily i didnt see one up close and personal.. but they did have them shop there they had some rattlesnakes, sadly not for sale.. but as i was taking photos i got up close and the big daddy snake started rattling its snakey tail. It sounds really cool, just like on tv.
Back in Mexico city now, heading to the land of hotdogs, hambugers and funny accents this week to watch some baseball and tennis.





Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Alleyway of kissesAlleyway of kisses
Alleyway of kisses

the two balconies are 67cm apart


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb