Where Men Become Gods


Advertisement
Published: June 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mexico City to Teotihuacán


I had to temper my expectations upon visiting Teotihuacán and learning the origin of the site's name. Very impressive place and a great way to wrap up 5 weeks in Mexico and the last 5 weeks of The Trip To End All Trips. I was back in the US for ~3 weeks, slightly shocked and chagrined, bouncing around between Seattle, Florida, and Phoenix. The shock and chagrin was fleeting as I took off for The Next Trip To End All Trips at the end of May.

US$ ≈ 13 Mexican pesos (M$)

Accommodation and food I reserved a couple of nights at Hostel Amigo Suites through booking.com then extended for 4 more in person. The location was great, a few minutes walk from the zócalo and metro stop. A night in a 4 person ensuite dorm hovered around M$145 (rates were constantly changing based on demand). Daily breakfast and a vegetarian dinner were included along with WiFi and a couple of PCs for use. Don't remember much about the dining scene except the M$18 quesadillas across the street from the hostel and the Michoacana ice cream/juice bars all over the neighborhood.

Transport Besides taking the bus to Teotihuacán, the
Pyramid of the SunPyramid of the SunPyramid of the Sun

Teotihuacán
only transport I needed in Mexico City was the metro to the airport and a couple other places to see the sights around town. There are 2 airport stops along the line with the Terminal Aérea station located at Terminal 1 for most, if not all, international flights. Metro trip of any duration is an incredibly low M$5.

Teotihuacán Tours available from the hostel for M$500 including the M$59 entrance fee but it is easy to get there on your own for much less although the travel time will be quite a bit longer. The Central Notre bus station is conveniently located at the Autobuses del Norte metro station. From there are frequent 2nd class buses for M$42 straight to the ruins entrance taking ~50 minutes. I went with a few other hostel guests on a Mexican holiday mid-week so it was a bit crowded but the site is very spread out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Looking Across to the Pyramid of the MoonLooking Across to the Pyramid of the Moon
Looking Across to the Pyramid of the Moon

Avenue of the Dead connects the pyramids, Teotihuacán.
Pyramid of the MoonPyramid of the Moon
Pyramid of the Moon

Along the Avenue of the Dead, Teotihuacán.
Avenue of the DeadAvenue of the Dead
Avenue of the Dead

Cosmological quincunx at the base of the Pyramid of the Moon, Teotihuacán. I'm guessing this was an inspiration for the movie "The Fifth Element" starring Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich, the latter more famous for decapitating zombies in post-apocalyptic Las Vegas.
Urban SombreroUrban Sombrero
Urban Sombrero

Definitely could have used one of these J. Peterman products at Teotihuacán.
Templo de los Caracoles EmplumadosTemplo de los Caracoles Emplumados
Templo de los Caracoles Emplumados

Inside the Temple of the Feathered Snails. Look more like parrots to me, Teotihuacán.
Jaguar PaintingJaguar Painting
Jaguar Painting

Teotihuacán
Diego Rivera MuralDiego Rivera Mural
Diego Rivera Mural

National Palace, Mexico City.
Diego Rivera MuralDiego Rivera Mural
Diego Rivera Mural

National Palace, Mexico City.
Diego Rivera MuralDiego Rivera Mural
Diego Rivera Mural

National Palace, Mexico City.
Diego Rivera MuralDiego Rivera Mural
Diego Rivera Mural

National Palace Mexico City
ZócaloZócalo
Zócalo

Main square in front of the cathedral, Mexico City.
Torre LatinoamericanaTorre Latinoamericana
Torre Latinoamericana

Well built and withstood the powerful 1985 earthquake, Mexico City.


Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1115s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb