Chapultepec Park


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
December 9th 2006
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our knee were aching and our feet were soring due to the long salsaing night yesterday at Mama Rumba. We decided to take things slowly today, we went to Chapultepec - The Grasshopper hill. On top of the hill, is the Chalpultepec Castle, where Emperor Maximilian and Empress Carlota of Mexico lived. At the bottom of the hill, there is a huge park, about 1600 acres and can easily take up to 2 or 3 days to explore. It has a few lakes, playgrounds and a zoo. The park is also the house of many museums, this includes the famous National Museum of Anthropology. We got off at Chapultepec Metro station, which brought us directly to the park entrance. To get to the top of the hill, one can walk or take the tourist train. Of course, we took the train. Nothing much to mention about the castle, we took our time wandering around, not paying attention to any of the arts or deco on display. I guess we are just tired. After visitng the castle, we descended the hill to the park.

There are many vendors in the park, selling all sorts of souveniours and of snacks. One of the stalls that particularly draws my attention is the one that sells Lucha Libre masks. Lucha Libre is the hilarious Mexican wresting, which I didn’t manage to tick off the “things to see and to do list” 😊, due to lack of time.

If you enter the park from Paseo de la Reforma avenue, you will be greeted by the Mexico’s Ninos Heroes. The six child heroes statues, each standing on top of a white marble column honored the fighting spirit of the six young ( ages 14 to 20) military cadets during the Mexican-American War in 1847.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb