What is open ?


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
February 4th 2019
Published: March 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Little did we know that our timing sucked, it was a public holiday (Constitution Day) which meant not much was open including all the museums! We had three whole days in Mexico City so we didn't really want to waste a day. We started off by walking around the neighborhood we were staying Roma Norte and into La Condesa. Lonely Planet talked up the architecture in the area and named a couple of streets in particular as having nice old buildings but we failed to see it. The best part about the neighborhood is that it is safe and has plenty of nice eateries of which we took advantage of for lunch. We next ventured to the park but found that was locked too, who the hell locks a major park on a public holiday! So we still had some time to kill so decided to go into the old town in the centre of the city and for that it was a metro ride. The metro is not only good but also the cheapest we have ever ridden. 20 pesos gets you anywhere on one ride and if you had to change lines you still only pay the 20 pesos. The old town was awash with people, its a place where you have to watch your stuff particularly your pockets! The first thing we saw when exiting the station was a group dressed as Aztec warriors performing a dance, their costumes, looks and dance had you believe they were from that era. We explored around the square and went into the cathedral. Museo del Templo Mayor was closed which was disappointing as this is one museum we wouldn't mind seeing, we saw what was left of the old Aztec City which was accessible on the outside. The old part of the city was quite nice and we enjoyed visiting it. Tommorow everything was back to normal so we looked forward to seeing the Archaeological museum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb