Well here we are!


Advertisement
Published: April 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola chicas y chicos

Solamente escribimos en español porque necesitamos la practica!

Only joking! Not about the practice though! 😊

We arrived in Mexico City at approximately 7:40pm Mexico time (1:40am UK time), safe and sound, all baggage accounted for (though a little wet from the thunder storm that came by whilst we were in the queue at immigration) after a long journey, over tired, over fed, over water, over airconditioned, having watched far too many films.

After a night interspersed with shouting, loud music and blaring tv from the floor below (our balcony windows overlook the central courtyard of the building) we still managed to get up fairly early, not too tired and ready to explore the city (the largest in the world) on a hearty breakfast of one-sided toasted bread (but gem now knows how to use the toaster and she WILL get it right tomorow!, maybe...).

We decided it was best to spend our first day having a wander round, which was a good plan because it is huuuuuuuuge! And full of crazy traffic rules - mainly that the little green man flashing on the peadestrian crossing does not necesarily mean that the cars will stop. We do feel a bit of a novelty here - very pale and interesting 😊 and despite our best efforts at speaking spanish we normally get the reply in english!

After our little meander and a quick bite to eat we decided to do some proper sight seeing. We popped in to the Palacio Nacional to see the murals of Diego Revera which run round the walls of the courtyard on the second floor and depict some of the history of Mexico - mainly the arrival of the conquistadors.

We then headed to Templo Mayor which at the height of the Aztec empire was said to be the centre of the universe. As the empire grew, the Templo Mayor was rebuilt over the previous temple in order to mirror the increasing strength and wealth of the Aztecs. The archaelogical site is pretty impressive - showing the different incarnations of the temple. We decided to enlist the help of Jesus, not the son of god, but a very friendly guide, who took us round the site, explaining the Aztec philosophy/cosmology, which actually helped us understand the whole human sacrifice ritual. He also told us that Mexico actually means "the naval of woman". When Hernan Cortes seized the city and the empire, the Templo Mayor and the surrounding city was destroyed and built over with colonial buildings. Amazingly, Templo Mayor wasnt found until 1978! We cant get over that! But we definitily want to know more now!



Advertisement



22nd April 2008

Hola!
hey guys, fellow Mexican explorers! Hope you are having a wicked time, we are!!!! its absolutely paradisical here in Puerto Morelos (left Cancun after one day!) yeah, don't bother going there its full of American Americans! Keep in touch and let us know when you are coming to the Yucatan. We have found some great places to go, one in particular, outside Valladoloid (something like that). Anyhoo, Must go, Adam is watching a man with a harpoon gun catch some fish and I'm scared that he is going to try it! Adios xx

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb