Mexico City


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It has been a while since I have written a blog, since going to Mexico City we have been in Los Angeles, Fiji and Hong Kong and I am now writing this from Bangkok. Plenty to fill you all in on!



I don't know where to begin with Mexico City. We arrived on 9th May and left on the 13th in what turned out to be a pretty eventful 4 days. It all started with a taxi journey from the bus station with the worst taxi driver in the world. We get in and ask him to take us to the Zocalo which is basically the Trafalguar square of Mexico City and here sits the city's cathedral as well as our hostel. The guy doesn't know it so I show him a map, he still doesn't know. Not quite sure whether he understood his job role but eventually he managed to get us within about a 5 minute walk so we took the option to use our map and find our own way there. I have never come across a taxi driver who does not know the most famous area in their own city and our spanish pronounciation is not that bad.



When we eventually got to out hostel we dropped our bags and went for a wander around the city. Walking around the city turned out to be a pretty big part of our 4 days there! This place is crazy busy and full of people trying to sell you all sorts of crap on the streets like little plastic women pole dancing and everyone stares at you, especially on the metro! Didn't realise we looked like we are from another planet! We spent the first evening at the terrace bar in the hostel ready for a bit of sightseeing the following day.



On Thursday we basically went to the main tourist sites which included the Bella Artes building, the Alameda, the Revolution Arc and walked down towards the Zona Rosa. Pretty boring touristy stuff which I won't bore you with. Thursday night wasn't bad, slightly better than the terrace bar, a Paul McCartney concert in the Zocalo outside our hostel for free. The place was packed with about 250,000 people and the old boy has still got it. He was incredible! We were supposed to meet Marion that night who was a French girl we had met earlier in the trip in Holbox but we didn't arrive until 11.30pm about 2 and a half hour late by which time they had left. This was after trying to buy some beers from a little shop with the weirdest woman in the world who after giving us our beers tried to sell us more, before offering us empty bottles and then massages. From you love, I don't think so! Turns out when we finally met Marion on Sunday morning they had just moved flats and we were ringing the wrong door bell. Whoops! Whilst we were at the concert a Mexican girl comes across with her mum and starts chatting to us before getting us to leave our contact details before we leave and inviting us out with her friends. The boys are on fire! So that was Friday night sorted. In the day we went to the museum of anthropology which is the most famous in the city and had a wander in the park before meeting with Diana and her friends later on. Turns out the club we were going to was one of the swankiest ones in the city and none of us had our ID with us. We realised this after spending about half hour in the middle of a scrum because the Mexicans don't quite seem to have grasped the concept of a que. So we took a taxi back and returned to the mob and once we flashed our British passports at the bouncers they pushed everyone back and dragged us under the rope. It was like we had the golden ticket! Once we got in this club it was awesome, Diana's friends had a table and the place was rammed with people and we had waiters waiting on us all night. Turned out to be a bit more expensive than anticipated but definatley worth the money!



On saturday Diana calls our hostel and invites us round to her place before taking us to the castle at Chapultapec and showing us around there. Having some one who speaks fluent Spanish made life so much easier and more enjoyable. We had previously struggled in this city with very basic spanish, we managed to get lost about 10 times trying to find places mainly because the maps were shite and I swear the people didn't even know where they lived! You ask them for directions to places like Mexico park when you have just got off the closest tube and they just look at you totally confused. I'm sure that each night they just sleep in a random place because they have no idea how to get back to where they came from especially if they are all like our taxi driver! Diana seemed to be the only one who knew her way around and by the end of our 4 days I reckon I could have been a taxi driver there!



Sunday morning before we fly out we manage to meet up with Marion after failing a few times. We head down to La Condesa, an area we have been to a few times now and head to the meeting point. As per usual we spend a good deal of time trying to work out where we are going and once again we didn't go the quickest route! We have brunch with her and her Brazilian friend before heading back to catch a flight to L.A. Nice way to end a good few days!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb