Ancient Pyramids in Colima and Jalisco


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Colima » Colima
November 10th 2009
Published: November 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

During our travels in west/central Mexico we take the oppertunity to vist some of the ancient pyramids in the area. In Colima, we visit "La Compana" site and are treated to an eruption to the nearby volcano while we are looking around.
In Jalisco, about 1 and 1/2 hours outside of Guadalajara we visit Guachimontones site. This is on the south side of the volcano of Tequila. Here we see what are clamed to be the only round ancient pyramids in the world. Le learn about how aguave has been a source of food, fiber for clothing and shelter & source of alcohol for over 2000 years in this region. The nearby obsidian mine by the volcano was also a source of wealth for this community. Guachimontones is easy to get to one the bus, to Tuchitlan, from building B at the old bus station in Guadalajara. Buses leave often, all day. In town we caught a cab to the site, & walked back to town after our visit.
Tuechitlan is a charming and friendly little town. We enjoy polentas (popsicles) in the central plaza of town on our walk back to the bus station. This site does not appear to be well known at present, but we notice that a big, fancy looking, visitors center is being built nearby. I expect that soon they will have lots of visitors.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

volcanovolcano
volcano

This was taken at Yerbabuena, which is as far as the road goes up the mountain. The government is trying to relocate the village, but the natives, who have lived there many generations, are resisting.
Crater LakeCrater Lake
Crater Lake

near Yerbabuena
volcano of Colimavolcano of Colima
volcano of Colima

This is one of the most active volcanos in North America


22nd September 2014
vanilla plant

Both title and text are clear and didact.
In view of the didact images of Vanilla, I would like to know on the possibility to use the picture # 22 for illustration purpose of a small book I am writting which will be directed to Brazilian college student (Portuguese language). Certainly it will be credited.

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 30; qc: 150; dbt: 0.1206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb