Day of the Dead in Comala


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Colima » Colima
November 1st 2009
Published: November 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The day of the Dead is a happy time to remember ancestors and loved ones & to feed their spirits.
We spent the eve of the Day of the dead in Comala, in the state of Colima. We stayed at a WONDERFUL
inn (or Bed-and-breakfast) called Hostel Casa Blanca.
Comals is a beautiful, friendly, little town, & the perfect place to unwind after 2 weeks in the big city.
On Sunday morning we decide to walk up the road a ways to a small museum in Nogueras.
The climate here is definatly tropical, much warmer & more humid then Guadalajara, but also, we are to find out, cooler than on the coast. Our walk takes us thru a forest of Mango, avacato, bananna, & citrus trees & to a litte "eco-garden" at the cultural center. We have a great time exploring the garden and the Museum. The ancient pottery (about 2000 years old) from this area displays as much humanity, humility, & good humor as any ceramic work & have ever seen anywhere. After a while we walk back to Comala & pass our Hostel to go to the main Plaza for "a few minutes" & end up staying for hours.
First we each have a "paleta de Michoacan" (popsicles). Patty has Guyaba (Guava) & I point to a pretty one that ends up being Mango with chile & salt. It was good, but a little too salty for my taste. We look at the alters that have been set up around the plaza. We watch one of the elders from the community being honored in a special way. A young woman (Granddaughter perhaps) hires a Mariachi band & they play & follow as he is walked, by the young woman, around the plaza. It is a touching scene. It takes about 4 songs to make it around the plaza. While watching, we visit with a man from Mexico City who is in town tovisit his sister. He is familiar with Kansas City. Then we decide to try the roasted corn on the cob with lime & chile & a while later we try tamales a family is selling & then the church bells start ringing & more people come out. We visit with more folks and finially with an local english teacher who is very friendly & has many questions about pronunciation & other language points. (he asks me "what is the plural of Miss?" After some thought I tell him there is'nt one) He invites us to a posole dinner nearby & not wanting to be rude, we accept. We have a nice dinner & head back to the Casa Blanca. On the way back there we run into Rosa, the lovely lady who owns/operates the Hostel. She is surprised that we have been gone so long on our "walk" & we tell her about the things we have done & the friends we have made.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Dia de los Muertos eventDia de los Muertos event
Dia de los Muertos event

in a 16th century ex-monestary in Guadalajara
In memory of Joseph MartellaIn memory of Joseph Martella
In memory of Joseph Martella

Patty's beloved father. We made this small alter that we could travel with.


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 148; dbt: 0.1077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb