Las Grutas, El Chiflon y Lagos de Montebello


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas
August 4th 2007
Published: August 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Las GrutasLas GrutasLas Grutas

Obviously not the best environment for photos so this will be your only one.
One of the tours we booked from San Cristobal was to Las Grutas, El Chiflon and Lagos de Montebello. It was an all day tour. We left around 8:00 a.m. and returned approx. 7:00 p.m. At first it was strange because we were picked up in a taxi. Typically during there guided tours we travel by van. We proceeded to pick up another couple at another location. It turned out it was just the four of us and the taxi driver. Regardless of how it started it turned into a great tour and a wonderful day with our Mexican companions.

Our first stop was to Las Grutas/The Caves. We spend a good hour walking through the entire cave. Our second stop was to El Chiflon, which includes numerous waterfalls. It is an 800m hike and during the hike you reach all different points of the falls. With each turn more and more beauty is exposed. We spent a good two hours, it was only suppose to be an hour and a half, but Carlos and I decided to hike all the way to the top...another 800m. We must be training for something because we continue to put ourselves into these
El ChiflonEl ChiflonEl Chiflon

The beginning of the 800m plus another 800m hike. The first 800m hike was gradual, but the second 800m hike was straight up the mountain.
positions of extreme sports or hikes. We were drenched by the time we hiked all the way back down. Our companions nor driver seemed too upset with our tardiness. It was worth the views!!!

Our third and final stop was to Lagos de Montebello, located in the temperate forest along the Guatemale border. Lagos de Montebello has over 50 small lakes or Lagunas of varied hues. This was actually the first time during our entire trip that rain affected us. We arrived to the starting point, but could not pass much further due to the high waters. We were suppose to see at least five of the lakes, but only saw three. The three we did see, even with the rain, were still picturesque.

We chose to have our late lunch here. As you can see by the photos, we were, once again, in the middle of no where. We chose one of the many locations that lined the parking are to eat at which served either fresh fish or meat with rice and beans. We stayed away from the fresh fish, but did enjoy the beef. Not that either was a good option because who knows how long they have been hanging on the hook and line. I suppose everything is better cooked, right? I was still very cautious of everything I ate due to my sickness, but at this point I was starving so once again I didn't have an option and the Oat Bran bar just wasted enough. Que rico!

Our drive back to San Cristobal was approx. 2 hours and we have to give applause to our driver because the driving conditions were not the best.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

El ChiflonEl Chiflon
El Chiflon

Lucky for us another group hiked to the top as well otherwise we would not have had this photo together.
El ChiflonEl Chiflon
El Chiflon

The view from the top...I think we can see Guatemala from here!
Lunch in Lagos de MontebelloLunch in Lagos de Montebello
Lunch in Lagos de Montebello

Do we really need a gas or electric stove? We make everything so much more difficult.
Lunch in Lagos de MontebelloLunch in Lagos de Montebello
Lunch in Lagos de Montebello

It may look simple, but we have found the simple pleasures in life are the best. QUE RICO!


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb