San Cristabol Historic town


Advertisement
Published: February 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Also known as the native Tzutzil name Juvel, is a town located in the central highlands region in the state of Chiapas. The municipality is all mountain terrains, but the city itself is a small valley surrounded by hills..The city center maintains in Spanish colonial layout much of the architecture, with red tile roofs, cobblestone streets and wrought iron balconies often with flowers. Most of the city's economy is based on commerce, services, tourism. Tourism is based on the city's history, culture and Indian population.

The center of the city is the main Plaza ( Plaza 31 de Marzo) in coloniel times the main market was there as well as the main water supply. The corners have markers marking the major events at San Cristabol. The Cathederal is North of the main Plaza built in 1721.At the back of the Chapel there is an affixed church called the San Nicolas temple it was constructed between 1613 and 1621 in Moorish design.

When the Domminicans came from Spain they were given an area of the land to construct their church and monastery. The first stone was laid in 1547 by Fancisico Marroqui, then the bishop of Guatemala.. The menestry was finished in 1551. It is one of the most ornate structures in Latin America, both due to Stucco work and gilded altarpieces which completely cover the length of the churches interier.

The Climate is a mild subtropical highland climate. The dry season runs November to Arpril is cool in January with 12.3 average. Warm by day 23 and cool at night as low as 7.

The city was founded in 1529, The place of the clouds. The area did not have a pre espanic city. After defeating the Zoques in the Northern Mountains and the Chiapans in the area, the city founded a military fort. In 1829 the name ciudad Real was changed to San Crisabol. In the 19th century, the state govermentwould shift back and forth between San Cristabol in the highlands dominated by conservatives and Tuxtla dominated by the liberals.

Well today from our Sams Club Free parking lot via pick up truck with Friends we drove 120 Kms to almost as beautiful water falls as we have at home Chifflon Falls, all the same as at home except Aqua blue in Color, we have dark blue or ice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement










Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1005s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb