San Cristóbal de las Casas


Advertisement
Published: December 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

We had a long trip from Antigua to San Cristóbal de las Casas in the Chiapas region of Mexico. We were picked up in Antigua about 4:45am and finally arrived around 6pm after having to change shuttle twice and cross the border into Mexico.

San Cristóbal was a really nice city but a little colder than we were used to as it is at 2,000m above sea level.

We had two days in San Cristóbal which Gary spent resting, but as it was a little difficult to provide him with delivery he managed to venture out for food. Twice we visited a local street food stand for tacos, quesadillas, and huaraches, the food was great and the guys cooking and serving it were incredibly young. The server and drinks guy was just 14 years of age and worked full time having finished school.

I spent the first morning exploring the market with some other kiwis we met on the shuttle bus. I enjoyed the market as there was a large range of products and in many of the little stalls the ladies were making their products so you knew they were hand made rather than just being told they were.

Next to the market was the Temple de Santo Domingo which is considered to be the most beautiful church in San Cristóbal with its baroque facade and lavishly gilded interior. I briefly stopped by to take a look and some photos.

A short distance from the church is the textile museum which I visited. I enjoyed seeing the large variety of different colours and patterns from the different regions and the variety within the regions while still being able to recognise that they were from the same area.

We left San Cristóbal on the night bus for Oaxaca.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



3rd December 2014
A beautiful rug in the textile museum

Love these patterns!
I thought you'd bought this to take home--wish, wish! Hope you get to try the yummy Oaxacan tamales sold on street corners at about 8:30 at night by little indigenous women with huge pots. Best wishes for Gary's foot!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb